Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hey,

We are using Polycom VVX400 with 5.4.3 firmware (S/N = 0004F2DD8084)

Current our setup is that, the Polycom phone will contantly register to 2 different SIP server (Failover Server). The phone will constantly sent REGISTER message to Server A and Server B.

If Server A is the Active Primary, and Server B is backup. Server B will reject the REGISTER message with 503 Service Unavailable. 

With this way, the phone will always know which server is the active primary server to sent the INVITE message to for call.

However, when we try to put the phone into DND status, the phone will sent the SUBSCRIBE message to the SIP server.

What happen here is that, when server A is still the active primary, the phone will be able to sent SUBSCRIBE message and getting response fine.

In the case of failover event and Server B took over, the phone is still sending the SUBSCRIBE message to server A (and get the response of 403 forbideen) eventhough Server A response to the phone's earlier REGISTER message with 503 message.

May I know, what response need to be receive by the Polycom phone for it to stop sending the SUBSCRIBE message to server A and sent the SUBSCRIBE message to the other server?

Regards,

kam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Kam,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

First you are not using a currently supported software version like UC Software 5.6.0 or 5.5.2

Secondly we do not have any configuration so we are not able to confirm that you are using the correct template for your yet unknown SIP provider.

Checking your details and the MAC of the phone gives me the impression you are working for one of our service provider partners so I simply suggest you escalate this into Polycom support so we can work with you on this to verify we are not violating any RFC's.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Kam,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

First you are not using a currently supported software version like UC Software 5.6.0 or 5.5.2

Secondly we do not have any configuration so we are not able to confirm that you are using the correct template for your yet unknown SIP provider.

Checking your details and the MAC of the phone gives me the impression you are working for one of our service provider partners so I simply suggest you escalate this into Polycom support so we can work with you on this to verify we are not violating any RFC's.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hey Steffen,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I had proceed to raise a service request within the Polycom portal.

Thanks,

Kam

HP Recommended

Was there an actual solution/outcome to this issue?

It seems the Polycom phones only send the SIP SUBSCRIBE message to the first sucessfully registered server (e.g. Server A) - regardless if that registration then changes (e.g. to Server B).

Is there a configuration setting to change the SUBCRIBE behaviour so it goes to all registered servers?

HP Recommended

After some research, it appears to be "working as designed". According to the UC 5.7.0 Admin Guide (page 501-502):

Phone Operation for Registration
After the phone has booted up, it registers to all configured servers.
Server 1 is the primary server and supports greater SIP functionality than other servers.
For example, 
SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY services used for features such as shared lines, presence, and BLF is established only with Server 1.

Therefore in example originally provided, by design, the SUBSCRIBE will never try/contact Server 2 (or Server B as referenced).

The Polycom guide suggests 'Recommended Practices for Fallback Deployments' is to "Educate users as to the features that are not available when in fallback operating mode."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.