Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We're facing the following problem: The moment the system tries to play any audio on the Polycom device, the Windows Audio service crashes. I know that Windows 8 is not supported for this device (why not?), but this can't be the final answer.

Last year we recommended to one of our bigger customers the C100S devices. Now they have to update to Windows 8 cause of license issues (MS enterprise contract). This means all (they have about 50 devices!!!) can't be used anymore??? We have other clients, that will run into the same problem in short period of time.

When will there be a propper driver / support for Windows 8?

Thanx for any feedback.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello cgasser,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The C100S Datasheet => here <= clearly states the supported operating systems as:

Microsoft® Windows XP®, Windows Vista® ,Windows 7®

Windows 8 is currently not supported and I am therefore unable to provide further insight. I would suggest you liaise with your Polycom reseller in order to get some contact to Polycom sales for the future roadmap of the C100S product.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I found this post in another thread. But is this really the final statement of Polycom? That would be really, really bad support. We have not problems with headsets, etc. etc. but only with the Polycom devices. Haven't they noticed that there is a new OS on the market since nearly one year?

Very disapointed ...

HP Recommended

Hello cgasser,

the C100S was supported in Windows XP, Windows Vista and then Windows 7.

A new operating system does not automatically guarantee driver support and many other hardware manufacturers have the same approach.

I am currently unable to confirm future Windows 8 support but have inquired internally.

Please bear in mind that the C100S was released back in 2006 and your customer may want to upgrade to our latest SoundStation Connect as described => here <=

It can be paired with any UC soft phone application (such as Microsoft® Lync®, IBM® Sametime®, Skype™, or GoogleTalk™) running on any computer (Mac®, Windows® or Linux®) without the need for software drivers.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello cgasser,

just a follow up.

Did you attempt and install the Windows 7 Drivers (3.0.0.29 ) and what Version of Skype are you using?

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I'm surprised about provided support a bit.

Honestly I don't think that porting of existing Windows 7 software to Windows 8 is a big deal for Polycom.

I purchased C100S on Amazon few days ago and realized that it doesn't work on Windows 8 OS that I use.

The service is crushing as soon as I plug the device through the USB port that is really sad news.

I have genuine Windows 8 and won't rollback to windows 7 because of Polycom device.

Do you want me to return device back because you don't want to support your hardware anymore?

My previous company used Polycom devices and it was great time on meetings.

But it seems that device won't enjoy me anymore...

HP Recommended

Hello georgek,

As already mentioned in this post => here <= the C100S was released back in 2006.

I am not aware of many hardware manufacturing companies out in the field that support a hardware that is nearly 9 years old continuously with new drivers. 

I am not a developer so I am unable to comment on any time a driver would take to port from Operating system to another.

We, Polycom , do not advertise the C100S as a Windows 8 compatible device so I am unable to comment any further.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi Mr. Baier (Herr Baier?)

May I point out that your company gladly sells the C100S today, almost two years after the release of Windows 8?

With regards to your comment "I am not aware of many hardware manufacturing companies out in the field that support a hardware that is nearly 9 years old" - the fact is that all *top tier* vendors do that, HP for example supplies Windows 8 drivers for printers that are 15 years and older.

We are evaluating the purchase of a larger number of USB speaker phones, both for portable use and conference rooms. We started with Jabra, ClearOne, and PolyCom. Looks like PolyCom is taking itself out of the running.

Thank you

Stefan

HP Recommended

Hello Stefan,

Polycom advertises the operating system compatibility for all currently supported operating systems for the C100S.

Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 is not a supported operating system so I am unable to comment any further.

There is still a large customer base on systems like XP or Windows 7 which are both supported.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

DO NOT install the driver.  I was able to get my C100 to record and play audio on windows 8.1 by uninstalling the Polycom driver and just setting the device as the default audio and recording device.  The volume and mute buttons work fine, I'm not sure if the open Skype or call buttons work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.