Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi, newbie here.  Can I import a contact list into my VVX 500? 

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello Raihnmann,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

There is no such import facility.

The community's VoIP => FAQ <= contains this post here:

Jan 6, 2012 Question: How can I create a local directory or what is the 000000000000-directory.xml used for?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

or

Jan 30, 2012 Question: Can I use a central Phone book or is LDAP / Corporate Directory supported?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Thanks for answering my question.

Kurt

HP Recommended

So, I have just bought a REALLY DUMB smart phone. This is incredible.

HP Recommended

Hello LarryDP,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The VVX500 Data Sheet => here <= and all other freely available documentation does not state or advertise a ability to import a directory.

All Polycom IP phones support coporate directory functionalities (if advertised) and can load a local directory from a provisioning server.

This information was already provided in my original reply and more details can be found checking the linked FAQ entires.

I suggest you work with your Polycom reseller.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I agree with LarryDP, it seems very DUMB to allow for a 9999 entry directory contact list without the ability to edit it directly from the web utility or import.  Sometimes these big manufacturers really lose sight of what the real world needs in a business phone.

HP Recommended

Hello pingram3541,

As with everything features are implemented if they are requested by enough individual users or a large customer.

The phone is not advertised as a smart phone and several methods to implement a centralized directory are possible.

Please work with your Polycom reseller if you believe your business case would support a change to the currently working as designed implementation.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

I was able to do it with the provisioning server and yes you're right that when enough people complain or request a feature it might get noticed, this just seemed overly compicated for such a simple thing, and when the developers thought to allow up to ten thousand entries it would seem logical to also provide an import option...who would ever manually enter in all those contacts???

HP Recommended

Hello pingram3541,

our phones are usually provisioned via a compatible SIP server and automatically create the directory files for the phone.

If this is a standalone setup of or a switch that does not offer this facility then you have to manually create these files.

The Admin Guide explains this in detail and my FAQ Post => here <= also details this.

It also offers a link to a Perl Script which automates this based on a CSV file.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hello all, regarding the contact directory, the use of autoprovisioning is more logical with this phone. It has many features that are just made for autoprovisioning.

Anyway, what I am wondering concerns the maximum number of contacts that can be loaded into the phone. There is a mentioning here of 9999 entries, but I also hear a total of 200 entries from my distributor -- this confuses me even more as the expansion modules (max. can be 3) give access to 3x 28 x 3 modules = >250 entries...

We use Broadsoft to connect to / autoprovision with. We import a CSV list onto that platform, which can then be automatically loaded into the phone (after a reboot). But we wonder now how many entries we could load into the phone and/or personal contact directory.

Looking forward for some feedback on this item.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.