Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

This is my second visit to setting up a Polycom phone.

My first experience was 5 years ago, and it was horrible. There was no way for me to predict if I will be able to configure a phone or not.. The web interface just made no sense and I had to try 10 or 20 times to be able to set up a phone.

Now I reluctantly had to revisit this because a customer wants a Polycom phone.

But,, I am amazed to find out that nothing really changed.

First I tried with the same archaic web interface that was not changed for years.

Every change I made to the configuration, required a reboot.  So it took a few hours because every reboot takes some time to finish. But  it did not work. The phone is still not working.

So I spent a few more hours reading your documents. You have dozens, maybe hundreds of documents (nobody really cares if this confuses the customers). But not a single one can answer all the questions. Even when I read all or most relevant documents it seems that many questions are not answered and a lot of stuff is undocumented.

Then, I got a VPS specifically for this purpose and installed an FTP server on it (Linux).

I entered the address and username/password on the phone settings, but the phone cannot boot from that FTP server.

It does not even save the username and password. Nowhere in your documentation did I see any mention of this problem and how to save the username and password.

Then I read that the FTP server must be local (why??) so I followed your instructions and am using FileZilla.

I booted the phone several times, but it looks like the phone is not even trying to connect the FTP server.

What I don't understand is how a company like yours is still making money while showing so much disrespect to your customers.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello gulli,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I am surprised by your experience and can hopefully clarify a few things.

The Phones can be provisioned from external or internal hosted servers and include HTTP(S), FTP(S) and TFTP

Software and Admin Guides for your Phone can be found => here <=

General feature descriptions and technical documents can be found => here <=

Since SIP Software 3.1.2 we have included a quick setup feature described => here <=

A simple provisioning and setup a registration document can be found => here <=

Your Phone is capable to run the latest UCS 4.0.1 Software and guarantees the investment made into the market leading technology is safe for future call Platforms like the Microsoft LYNC.

Please ensure for further post's or replies that your provide the current Software Version of your phone and ensure that the phone can connect to your local provisioning server and ensure that no firewall is blocking the traffic.

You can try from another PC in the same network segment as the Phone to connect to your server to ensure the traffic is not blocked.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I too am having the same experience.  The behavior defies reason and the guides are not helpful.

HP Recommended

Hello TS79,

I have already responded to your additional post => here <=

Simply following above originally replied instructions lead you to the correct documentation outlining a simple registration.

Utilizing the community FAQ will also provide you with detailed instructions.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.