Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK

Thank you -- I already created and applied the patch manually, although I note:

1. Your colleague's reply was incoherent as to whether this issue was a recognized bug and would be addressed in the next release. Will it? I certainly never set those parameters wrongly (see below) so they must have been a problemin an old firmware image. 

2. Your colleague did not attach the file for the parameter patch.

3. You yourself did not attach the file in your earlier message, although you said you had. That was confusing! Thank you for posting it now. 

4. The scolding of a customer for not using current firmware -- even if he/she is being wrongheaded -- is completely inappropriate because I well remember a time when the then-current firmware was so broken that you could not update via the wb interface at all. I had to completely reimage the phone, which is not something every user can do. It would be well for Polycom to remember that not every paying customer is an enterprise customer with IT support or auto-provisioning.

5. In that regard, my general complaint/comment is about the line Polycom draws between parameters that can be changed in the web interface and those that require upload (and then can't even be *checked* in the web interface). I don't understand why such fine distinctions or made or why it is so hard to figure out which parameters are changeable in the web interface. In my opinion, nearly every parameter except a few that could totally brick the phone should be readable and changeable in the web inteface, which would eliminate the need to post .cfg files or the need to roll your own, in which case users like me always have to go chasing on this forum reference information on the proper format for .cfg files. You make your customers run in circles! 

I realize a lot of this venting is not about your or your reply, but Polycom has a lot of work to do on supporting its users with clear, consistent, and doable instructions, and I'd appreciate it if you could pass some of that up the chain of command. 

HP Recommended

Hello @hochmand ,

thanks for your feedback.

Could I kindly ask you to remember we are all volunteers here and we are human so mistakes can be made.

In addition please check here:

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

1. At the time of my colleagues reply Polycom had not yet identified this as a bug in our software. We are now aware as customers used the official way to escalate this into Polycom so we could verify the issue and fix this.

The Fix should be in the next 5.9.2 build and also from UC Software 6.0.0

I am unable to provide a timeline within this open community.

2. My colleague never mentioned to provide a actual file.

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Do I always need a Provisioning Server or can I configure a Phone via the Web Interface or via the Phone Gui?
    Resolution: Please check => here <=
    or

Mar 08, 2013 Question: Where can I download configuration files from or create these myself?

The above FAQ's explains how to utilize the import facility and how to create configuration files for parameters not exposed via the Web UI or GUI.

3. I can only apologize I actually forgot this and I have now corrected this.

4. The issue is not present in any other software than 5.9.0 or 5.9.1 or at least not in a form that was ever reported or followed up. Using a no longer supported software also prevents users from being able to use the latest features and issues reported are most likely already fixed.

Provisioning is nothing secret and a simple freeware FTP server will do. This way a user has full control of the phone and can easily recover a phone when any issue occurs.

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?

5. Polycom will never be able to add every single parameter to either the Web UI and/or Phone UI as this would simply create a mess that nobody would want to navigate.

The most common features are exposed based on experience. In this case a bug prevented the headset to be used as a wrong register was set to enable the serial port. This is not a feature a end customer would ever be exposed to use and as already explained we will fix this in the next releases.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I apologize that I did not know you were a volunteer. I would say that of the dozens of community support boards I am a member of, about half include formal participation by company employees who are actually speaking for the company. Usually users know that urgent matters require a support ticket, but that employees will lurk and provide guidance to low-priority matters. I am sorry you take the abuse without the compensation, but the overall formatting and operation of this board does not support good communication. 

HP Recommended

I don't see any "device.serial" in the latest 6.0.0 files example.

I know you already provide a file to push into the phone web page.

Can you provide a example as well for the provisionning file? Something I can insert in something like this :

<device device.set="1">
<device.net device.net.vlanId="10" device.net.cdpEnabled="0" device.net.lldpEnabled="0">
<device.net.vlanId device.net.vlanId.set="0"></device.net.vlanId>
<device.net.cdpEnabled device.net.cdpEnabled.set="1"></device.net.cdpEnabled>
<device.net.lldpEnabled device.net.lldpEnabled.set="1"></device.net.lldpEnabled>
</device.net>
</device>

And congratulation for the 5.9.2 update for NTP issue on feb 2036

HP Recommended

Hello @Olivier Thibeault ,

welcome back to the Poly Community.

Since UC Software 5.8.3 we no longer have this parameter in the \Config\polycomConfig.xsd file.

End Customers usually do not need this parameter as this is for Poly Support to troubleshoot a phone via the serial port.

Example configuration was attached already in a previous reply and utilizing something like Microsoft XML Notepad can be used to assist you for the correct XML syntax.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi hochmand

As Steffen said the Poly contribution is voluntary for employees of Poly and the amount of effort that Steffen puts in here is purely intended for the benefit of Poly users and customers. The community is designed for everyone to help everyone else in a common goal of a product that best fits your needs and works properly in your environment for your users. I'm happy when anyone in Poly takes their own time to help out.

1. We can't commit to fixes or releases here in the forum as things change quite often. Content of software and release dates are dynamic to the severity of issues found. If we commit here then many customers would expect a fix based on a possibly out-of-date statement in the forum. At the time of the post, we were not certain what our action would be. The best place to track these things is in the release notes upon release. This issue is EN-124590

2. The parameters were provided without an attached file with the assumption that anyone doing admin work on a Poly phone would have an understanding of how the configuration files work and some XML knowledge. The original poster had mentioned config parameters already so we continued with the assumption that the OP had already passed the point of understanding the configuration system on the phone.

5. We couldn't put all the parameters in the web UI without it being a nightmare to navigate. There is a delicate balance of what is useful vs what is simply overwhelming. The many parameters, that if changed, could cause the phone to simply fail in their environment because of a change to a parameter. Too many options can be a bad thing. We do allow you to upload a config file to change pretty much anything you want on the phone. Once you do changes via a web UI upload you'll be thankful all those parameters are not in the web UI 🙂

I'm not trying to scold or argue at all with you here. You have some valid points and we appreciate this feedback to improve the product and its usability. I'm only sending a friendly note in case anyone else has the same concerns and they can understand some of our reasoning. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.