Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have noticed what appears to be a character limit for Lync common area phone SIP addresses on the VVX devices running 5.3.0 firmware.  We have one particular sub-domain that results in a CAP address being 61 characters.

For example, the CAP sip address is: f57d1bf1-918g-5788-a9f5-368ge7644g22@abcde.abcdefghijklm.com

When using PIN authentication to sign into the phone the VVX phone fails to register.  In looking at the logs I can see that the SIP address is identified as f57d1bf1-918g-5788-a9f5-368ge7644g22@abcde.abcdefghijklm.co and the domain used for the various DNS queries to lookup the Lync server address is identified as @abcde.abcdefghijklm.co

The 61st character of the address (the ‘m’ from .com) is being truncated.  As such, all DNS queries use the truncated domain name and fail.  This is not the typical production domain so most CAP accounts won’t be impacted but for this particular domain we seem to have hit a character limit for the address.  The same CAP sign-in works on another vendor’s phone so I know the Lync setup and access is otherwise correct.

I don’t see any way to get around this at the moment on VVX devices.

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Apologies, I forgot to mention that the workaround for this is to just set a SIP address at the time of creation of the Common Area Phone account that is short enough to be under the character limit.  This parameter is optional when creating a CAP account and Lync/Skype will just generate a random string for the sip address that is quite long.

Kevin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Kevin,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used software version as issues experienced may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes.

The above is also stated in the "Read First: Welcome to the Polycom VoIP Forum"

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP UC Software Version or the BootROM Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for the follow-up.  Yes, I mentioned in the beginning of my description that the firmware is 5.3.0, specifically 5.3.0.12074.

Thanks,

Kevin

HP Recommended

Hello Kevin,,

apologize for that . I must have missed that.

Thanks in addition for providing the complete version number as some of our customers are running very specific builds.

I have actually forwarded your details to our team in North America so they can work with you on this directly.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Just an update, I actually did not hear back from anyone on this issue I posted about in June.  It only impacts one of our environments so has not been a deployment blocker, but it would be ideal to resolve it if possible.

We're now running on the latest UCS 5.4.0.5841 firmware and the issue still exists.

Thanks,

Kevin

HP Recommended

Apologies, I forgot to mention that the workaround for this is to just set a SIP address at the time of creation of the Common Area Phone account that is short enough to be under the character limit.  This parameter is optional when creating a CAP account and Lync/Skype will just generate a random string for the sip address that is quite long.

Kevin

HP Recommended

Hello Kevin,

I chase them again as it somehow got lost.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.