Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Comprehensive Custom Ringtone Guide

Brad303
Occasional Visitor

Comprehensive Custom Ringtone Guide

Hi all,

I've spent a few hours playing around with custom ring tones on a VVX 450 running 6.3.1.11465 and decided to write a guide to hopefully save others some of the headaches I encountered getting them up and running.

The UC Administrator Guide documents most of the settings, but as is all too common with Poly phone configs, putting the pieces together isn't quite as simple or intuitive as one might hope.

The guide is broken down into 3 parts, all of which are included as provisioning configuration files in the attached zip.

• custom-ringtones-simple.cfg outlines the basic settings to load a custom audio file as a ringtone on the phone and enable it.
  • custom-ringtones-advanced.cfg goes into more detail, demonstrating how to use multiple sampled audio files, as well as building ringer patterns.
  • custom-ringtones-chords.cfg shows you how to build custom ringtones using synthesized chords instead of sampled audio files.

There are extensive comments in each file that should clear up any confusion, but feel free to reply to this thread with any questions, corrections, comments, or feedback.

The zip also contains the sampled wav files I used in the examples, so you should be able to upload the files into the "ringtones" directory on your provisioning server, and enable the example configs in the CUSTOM_FILES parameter.

During my extensive testing, I found a number of quirks in how the phone behaves, which appear to be in conflict with the Administrator Guide. Whether these are bugs or undocumented "features", I'm not sure. I'll be following up with another post detailing my findings in the hopes of clarifying the correct and intended behavior.

I hope this helps!

Brad

1 REPLY 1
SteffenBaierUK
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Comprehensive Custom Ringtone Guide

Hello @Brad303 ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

Thanks for being part fo the community and I have added a link to our original FAQ:

Oct 25, 2011 Question: How can I change my Ringtone or Ring in a special manner for a certain incoming call?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. My official "day" Job is 3rd Level support at Poly but I am unable to provide official support via the community.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 2 of 2