Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

We sell and ship Polycom phones to customers pre-configured with our sip details.

When they are shipped to us, they come with ver 3.3.3 firmware. We then use TFTP to upgrade the firmware to 4.xxx. The next step is to configure them, we then go into each phone's web config and configure the phone with our details. This sounds easy enough, however when we ship 20+ phones to one customer it is a mammoth task and is draining our support resource.

I thought there has to be an easier way to do this. We don't have a provisioning server yet.

After doing some poking around online, and looking at the files that are used to upgrade the firmware via TFTP, I came across the 'site.cfg' file and wonder if this could be manipulated to have all our config settings except for the SIP username and password details. This would mean that, when the firmware is upgraded via TFTP our config is pulled at the same time, therefore the only thing we would need to do is add the SIP username and password resulting in massive time savings!

My questions are...

- Is this possible? if so where in this file do I make changes as their are multiple lines within the file that have the same field entry. E.g.. 'SNTP Server'  is shown a few times within the file.

- Have I got it wrong and is their an easier way?

As always thank you all for you help on this

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Hello,

The site.cfg like any other files in that sub directory are only templates.

I would suggest you check the faq for the substitution post and also the developers section for a Perl script posted by myself.

Beat regards

Steffwn Baier
------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hello Sheraz,

yes these are the two posts that you should consider looking at.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffan,

Thank you for confirming that. I have had a look at those links and they are more for assigning SIP details to the phones. We can easily do this via the web GUI. We are looking more at the config details. E.g.. Time server, timezone, codecs, port, password for phone. That's sort of thing. If we can get this sent to multiple phones that would be awesome.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hello Synety,

if you look at both my post's and understand the substitution and then simply add additional details like the SNTP server etc. to the Perl script then you will be able to create thousands of files within seconds. All you need is add the addtitional parameters within the script (I documented every section so it should be very easy) and then a a comma separated source file for Passwords and names.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.