Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Create a directory XML from Excel

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Create a directory XML from Excel

After doing some searching it seems that others have had the same requirement but I couldn't find a macro that anybody has shared.  So I wrote one that is very simple to use.

Attached is a ZIP file that contains a MS Excel file (.XLSM).  This allows one to enter the names and contact information as supported in SIP 3.1.8 (and others).  The file is unlocked so you can view the source code and modify it as you may wish.

When you click the 'Generate File' button on the sheet it will create an xxxxxxxxxxxx-directory.xml file in the same folder that the Excel file was opened from. 

I have tested the output file with Polycom IP501 SIP 3.1.8 phones that I have been working at provisioning.  It likely will work with other versions and most Polycom IP phones that can process the phone specific contact directory XML files.  This does NOT include the <lb></lb> label property but you can add that if you wish to modify the macro code.

Again, the source code is open so you can modify this as you see fit for your needs.

Nathan Smith

2 REPLIES 2
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Create a directory XML from Excel

Hello Nathan,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Thanks for sharing this and kudos to you !

In addition a Perl script can be found => here <= as well that uses a CSV file as a source.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 3
Occasional Visitor

Re: Create a directory XML from Excel

Thanks for the Perl script link. 

I noticed that the version I posted does not include the last name entry in the XML output. By adding an addition row with a word such as 'end' in the last name field this will fix this problem.  The bug is with the calculation of the number of rows / names that are occupied.

MacroXML.PNG

Nathan

Message 3 of 3