Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We are replacing a Mitel VoIP PBX with a hosted solution using Polycom VVX 411 handsets. Small network, single switch connecting all devices.

Out the the box the VVX 411's grab an IP from the Mitel hardware's DHCP server (while the attached PCs get 10.10.x.x addresses)
Windows server DHCP is 10.10.x.x for data VLAN
Mitel Server DHCP is 172.x.x.x for voice VLAN

The 10.x scope has no VoIP options (but since the VVX411s pull NTP info from the Mitel 172.x.x.x scope, they are working fine).

However once we port our numbers the Mitel hardware will disappear - so I need to configure a second Windows DHCP scope (10.11.x.x) that will be found by the VVX 411s

On the same Windows server I have configured the new scope with options

144 [VLAN-A=20;]

160 https://URL

In testing with the Mitel hardware disconnected the VVX411's do not see the new scope and instead grab an IP from the base 10.10.x.x scope.

The only thing I've found that might be releated is around the port configuration on the switch. Does the DHCP server need to be on an untagged 'access' port instead of a tagged port?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ran across someone else with similar issue who could not make IP Relay consistently work on the switches - so moved to the sub-interface of the firewall, and that configuration worked. So I think we're up and running.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @Dodger ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

I would assume this needs to be on the same as the rest of the network.

Aug 24, 2015 Question:What basic network data is send and received by a Poly phone?

Resolution: Please check this post => here <=

The above explains the different options you can use to utilize for example the DHCP Vendor Option so only Poly devices are getting a specific IP.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for this - reading through things now - but one of the key links is not working:

ID 54041 - links to a landing page, but the actual document goes to a 404 error. Could you point me to a new link?

HP Recommended

Hello @Dodger ,

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desk-and-IP-Conference-Phones/FAQ-Do-Poly-Phones-support-the-DHCP-Opti...

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

In the end we got it working using a second NIC on the DHCP server.

NIC 1 (data VLAN) attached to a port set to ACCESS - data VLAN only.

NIC 2 (VoIP VLAN) attached to port set to ACCES - VoIP VLAN only.

We know it should be possible using a single NIC combined with IP Helper but the DHCP was not responding and since we had a free NIC we went that way (and no IP Helper required).

Thanks

Dave

HP Recommended

Back at this in hopes of making a single NIC work (as all recommendations seem to suggest). In case this is relevant:

VVX411

Assembly: 3111-48450-001 RevA

BootBlock: 3.0.5.0036(48450-001)
Updater: 5.8.0.24992

Current "to be retired" Mitel system is connected to our DELL switch on two ports. Both ports are configured as:
Port VLAN Mode: Access
PVID: 30

Frame Type: AdmitUntaggedOnly

VVX411's are all connected on Ports configured as 'General" allowing both VLAN1 (data) and VLAN30 (voice).  They grab IPs from the Mitel system and work like a charm. PCs attached to the Polycoms all get VLAN1 IPs, so all working well.

The VLAN1 'data' scope on DHCP has no special options (3,6,15) - the Polycoms find the VLAN 30 scope from the switches (I believe via LLDP) then pull IPs from the Mitel PBX, which has only an additional option 125 with setting specific to Mitel, not Polycom, so in theory doesn't make a difference.

I have created a second scope on the Windows DHCP server and made these changes:

VLAN1 (data) scope:

Option

Option 125: VLAN=30;

Option 128: VLAN-A=30;

VLAN30 (voice) scope:

Option 3 (pointing to a subinterface of the standard gateway, 10.10.x.x)
Option 15 (removed)

Option 160: https://pp.ringcentral.com

However nothing I've tried has the VVX411's finding the second DHCP scope. Equally concerning is that they do not grab an IP from the base VLAN1 scope either - they simply get no address.

I've tried setting the DHCP port on the swith to Trunk, Access (both VLAN1 and VLAN30), and General - but watching wireshark sees no sign of the 10.10.x.x. scope responding.

This feels like a single setting blocking the DHCP from responding but for the life of me I cannot see it.

Does anyone have a dual-scope DHCP working (and if so any configuration tips would be hugely appreciate).

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hello @Dodger ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Setting the following logging will show more details that may help you to troubleshoot this:

• Settings > Logging > Global Settings > Global Log Level Limit > Debug
  • Settings > Logging > Global Settings > Global Log Level Limit > Log File Size (Kbytes) > VVX after 5.5.0 = 1000
  • Settings > Logging > Module Log Level Limits > LLDP > Event 1
  • Settings > Logging > Module Log Level Limits > DHCP Client > Event 1

In addition I am unsure if you are running a currently supported software.

• UC Software 5.9.5 for legacy VVX
  • UC Software 6.2.0 for the rest of VVX

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi there

Is the logging I set on a handset itself? We have no central server - so not sure where to configure the logging (or how to view them). I included some of the version info I took from the handset itself up above - but should I be looking for something specific that I missed to let you know what each handset is running?

HP Recommended

Hello @Dodger ,

From the Phone Web Interface.

Oct 11, 2011 Question: How can I troubleshoot configuration Issues via Log Files or the phone GUI?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Ran across someone else with similar issue who could not make IP Relay consistently work on the switches - so moved to the sub-interface of the firewall, and that configuration worked. So I think we're up and running.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.