Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

DHCP Discovery / Switch configuration

Occasional Advisor

DHCP Discovery / Switch configuration

We are replacing a Mitel VoIP PBX with a hosted solution using Polycom VVX 411 handsets. Small network, single switch connecting all devices.

Out the the box the VVX 411's grab an IP from the Mitel hardware's DHCP server (while the attached PCs get 10.10.x.x addresses)
Windows server DHCP is 10.10.x.x for data VLAN
Mitel Server DHCP is 172.x.x.x for voice VLAN

The 10.x scope has no VoIP options (but since the VVX411s pull NTP info from the Mitel 172.x.x.x scope, they are working fine).

However once we port our numbers the Mitel hardware will disappear - so I need to configure a second Windows DHCP scope (10.11.x.x) that will be found by the VVX 411s

On the same Windows server I have configured the new scope with options

144 [VLAN-A=20;]

160 https://URL

In testing with the Mitel hardware disconnected the VVX411's do not see the new scope and instead grab an IP from the base 10.10.x.x scope.

The only thing I've found that might be releated is around the port configuration on the switch. Does the DHCP server need to be on an untagged 'access' port instead of a tagged port?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: DHCP Discovery / Switch configuration

Hello @Dodger ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

I would assume this needs to be on the same as the rest of the network.

Aug 24, 2015 Question:What basic network data is send and received by a Poly phone?

Resolution: Please check this post => here <=

The above explains the different options you can use to utilize for example the DHCP Vendor Option so only Poly devices are getting a specific IP.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 5
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for this - reading through things now - but one of the key links is not working:

ID 54041 - links to a landing page, but the actual document goes to a 404 error. Could you point me to a new link?

Message 3 of 5
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello @Dodger ,

https://support.polycom.com/content/dam/polycom-support/products/voice/polycom-uc/other-documents/en...

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 4 of 5
Occasional Advisor

In the end we got it working using a second NIC on the DHCP server.

NIC 1 (data VLAN) attached to a port set to ACCESS - data VLAN only.

NIC 2 (VoIP VLAN) attached to port set to ACCES - VoIP VLAN only.

We know it should be possible using a single NIC combined with IP Helper but the DHCP was not responding and since we had a free NIC we went that way (and no IP Helper required).

Thanks

Dave

Message 5 of 5