Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am running an Elastix PBX with 104 Polycom units. 90 of these are IP650 models and the other 14 are IP670s. The latest firmware is on the provisioning server and all of the IP670 phones  have successfully been upgraded to the following:

BootBlock: 3.0.2.0024 (12670-001)

Updater: 5.0.3.1667

We are migrating all of our users to IP670's and we recently purchased 30 of these units brand new.  Our process to install these phones is as follows: (1) we create a configuration file on the provisioning server for the phone and assign it to an extension; (2) we plug the phone into the network and set the provisioning server address; (3) the phone downloads and updates the firmware as needed along with several reboots and eventually finishes and registers with our server and everything works fine. This process has worked with all of the 104 units currently in place.

Around 20 or so of the phones we just received are not able to complete this process successfully. We get the error message "could not contact boot server" and the phone gets stuck in an endless reboot cycle. To get around this we disable DHCP and enter a valid static IP for our network and the process is able to continue. However, when the phone finally boots up and registers, it does not display the correct time. Entering the NTP information manually does not correct this issue. Additionally, we do not want to set static IP addresses for the phones on our network.

I tried setting these phones back to DHCP but when they boot up they do not register with the server. When I go to Menu-Status-Network-TCP/IP Parameters to view the IP settings all of the network information is correct and valid except for the subnet mask. The subnet mask is 49.65.80.67, which is clearly invalid. 

Has anyone else had similar issues? I have compared a working IP670 to a nonworking IP670 side by side and all of the settings are identical (except that the working IP670's pull a valid subnet mask of: 255.255.248.0). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello jkelly,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

• Turn on Syslog on these phones and set it to a valid IP address in your Network

• Start a Wireshark trace on a mapped port and check what Server the Phone is connecting to and what DHCP offer it receives. 

In addition the trace will now also contain a log via Syslog so you can cross check what the phone is doing and what server it is connecting to.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I performed a wireshark trace on a working phone and a non-working phone. I am still getting the same results but I don't see anything in the traffic that looks incorrect. The non-working phones just seem to stop at some point in the registration process. I have attached the wireshark logs. the files labeled "phone1_dhcp" & "phone1_static" are from a non-working phone. the "phone2_dhcp" is from a working phone. The information from the syslog did not reveal anything different. Any ideas on what our issue may be?

HP Recommended

Hello jkelly,

the wireshark trace does not contain any DHCP offer (filter bootp) so nobody will be able to verify.

The best and correct way forward is to repeat the exercise and ensure via the bootp filter that you are actually capturing the DHCP offer when powering up the phone and then work with your Polycom reseller.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I have attached the wireshark trace with the DHCP transactions for the two devices. Transaction ID: 0x8a859a0a is from the non-working phone. As you can see from the trace it is offering a subnet mask of 255.255.248.0. However, the phone is displaying a subnet mask of 49.65.80.67 and it will not register with the PBX. The other phone (transaction id: 0x9654114a) with an identical configuration receives a similar DHCP offer but it displays the subnet mask correctly and registers with no issues. I have already contacted my reseller and I am still waiting to hear back from then. Do you have any suggestions in the meantime?

HP Recommended

Hello jkelly,

the Wireshark log seems incomplete again or missing.

Again only a quick look as troubleshooting / support is not part of the Polycom employees within this community.

Details:

• 0004F21E7789 purchased ~9/10/2008 Transaction ID: 0x9654114a
    Trace is missing the Discover from the Polycom Phone

• 0004F23D8339 purchased ~3/27/2012 Transaction ID: 0x8a859a0a
    1st offer from 10.10.24.3 and 2nd offer from 10.10.31.66

Above results in 1st IP 10.10.24.119 & Subnet mask 255.255.248.0 and then 2nd IP 10.10.25.251 & Subnet mask 255.255.248.0

Please check you network why a second DHCP server offers another IP and keep working with your Polycom reseller on this.

Using syslog may give you some more insight from the phone's log point of view.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier 

HP Recommended

My customer had this exact same problem on a different model of Polycom IP phone. Same bootblock, same updater.

His phone was getting the same subnet mask, which was how I eventually found the solution.

Please check out this post: http://forums.apc.com/thread/14363?start=0&tstart=0

The condensed version is this:

Older APC Smart-UPS network management cards required you to enter DHCP option 43 into your DHCP scope options if you wanted to use DHCP to configure the management card. As long as that DHCP option existed, the Polycom phone received the wrong subnet mask (46.65.80.67).

My customer had six brand new Polycom phones, and they all were non-functional.

As soon as I found the above linked article and removed Option 43 from the DHCP scope, all of the phones began to work.

I cannot answer why some of the original poster's phones worked and some did not, except to suppose that maybe he had more than one DHCP server on the network, and only one of them was configured with option 43.

HP Recommended

Hello PaulSterley,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used software version as issues experienced may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes.

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP UC Software Version or the BootROM Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

In addition providing the model of phone being used is also usefull as our phones run a different operating systems depending on the model.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.