Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I've ordered 3 different Polycom VVX 250 phones from 3 different sellers. All 3 have the exact same problem, which leads me to believe this is a known, system-side issue that has affected 1000's of people. Or I just have super bad luck and got the 3 phones out of a million that were bad. 

The USB wi-fi dongle for this phone either will not work at all or only works partially, like there is a connection problem. If you plug the dongle in all the way, it won't work on any phone I have tried...you can only plug it in partially, but it's clearly a bad connection.

The phone will sometimes act normally with it and actually see the network, but it then fails and crashes back to the main setup screen with the message "wifi detached".  Sometimes it wont see the network at all and just hangs for a long time then goes back to the main setup screen.

The USB port seems to be a bit...loose. The wi-fi dongle can wiggle around quit a large bit in there and that does indeed affect the connection. Indeed the only time I had success was by pushing the dongle in and then pulling it out slightly..but it was no reliable. That tells me the USB port are poor quality.

Anyway,

Question #1 - Is this a known system wide issue that I'm just stumbling into?

Question #2 - Can this be fixed without me having to return yet another phone?

Question #3 - If this phone is not good, what will work with wi-fi closest to it's price range?

I tried contacting polycom about the current phone, but..dang..  they basically told me I was the public so i had to find help elsewhere. The seller told me to go to polycom..  So I'm coming here now.  

Please help, been trying for over a month to get a decent desk phone with wi-fi that will work with nextiva and it genuinely feels like the phone gods hate me.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @kitfox ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

To my personal knowledge, we are not aware of this so this needs to come to support.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support. Available End User Poly services offerings are detailed here

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello @kitfox 

did you manage to do this? I had contacted Product management internally and we tested a few sample devices and a few ObiHai USB adapters and are not able to reproduce this.

Please provide me with the serials so I can look into who could raise this for you or provide the old reference so I can re-open.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

It appears to be a firmware issue. Registered here just to answer this, since (like you), I got told to pound sand when I asked about this, and got the "contact the seller" <-> "contact polycom" finger-pointing.

I have the VV250, and followed this:

http://voipt2.polycom.com/#620

(Instructions in case link is denied)

1. From the embedded UI of the phone, press Menu > Settings > Advanced (default password: 456) > Administration Settings > Network Configuration > Server Menu
  2. Navigate to the DHCP Menu and set Boot Server to Static, and BootSrv Type to IP Address
    • On UCS 3.x Phones: Main Menu > Settings > Advanced > Admin Settings > Network Configuration > DHCP Menu
    • On UCS 4.x or later Phones: Main Menu > Settings > Advanced > Admin Settings > Network Configuration > Provisioning Server > DHCP Menu
  3. From the Provisioning Server menu set Server Type to HTTP, and Server Address to 140.242.64.35/package_name (see packages available below)

Entered 140.242.64.35/620 as the provisioning server, rebooted phone using wired ethernet, and it automatically downloaded a firmware update to 6.20. After that, zero problems with the wifi dongle via USB. 

Like you, it would detach and loop, over and over. Firmware update fixed it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.