Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I'm observing an odd behaviour on both SPIP 650 and 335 (those are the only I have in hand right now) running UCS 4.0.8c related with the language configuration (when defined by the phone menu).

My provisioning server has a field to set the phone language configuration which is sent out to the phone in [MAC]-default.cfg using the parameter.

"lcl.ml.lang="

If the user overrides this config using the phone menu to any language [other than English (Internal)] the phone do a PUT for [MAC]-phone.cfg to the provisioning server. This will contains something like this:

<PHONE_CONFIG>
<OVERRIDES
lcl.ml.lang="Portuguese_Portugal"
/>
</PHONE_CONFIG>

The provisioning server parse the value and update the database accordingly.

The problem is when the user choose "English (Internal)" language option on the phone menu. This don't trigger any PUT from the phone to the provisioning server to allow it to update the database which in turn is now out of sync.

If the phone is rebooted the language is reverted to the one configured in the database.

Isn't expected that the phone send the PUT for this override config when "English (Internal)" language option is selected? 

Is it a firmware bug?

Thanks,

Joao Arruda

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello Joao Arruda,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Its bad practise to add a configuration parameter with no value. If the pre-defined language should be English Internal then no configuration parameter is required.

If a User wants to change the language (in your example Portuguese) on the phone into anything else the override file <mac>-phone.cfg is generated containing this language. 

Once the language is changed back to English Internal the lcl.ml.lang="Portuguese_Portugal" entry is being removed from the <mac>-phone.cfg.

Changes made to the phone directly have the highest priority followed to changes via the Web Interface.

I suggest you clear your configuration and if you still find to have issues work with your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of Polycom support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Sorry I think my reference on how the provisioing server send the language configuration to the phone wasn't clear enought.

The provisioning server never send out the "lcl.ml.lang" parameter empty.

It just send it with a value based on what was selected by the administrator to that specific phone. If the option choosen was English (Internal) then the parameter is not added to <MAC>-default.cfg

That explained, the main question still exists.

How can my provisioning server be aware that the user manualy overrided the administrator defined language to "English (Internal)" if when this specific option is selected no PUT is sent from the phone?

Thanks,

Joao Arruda

HP Recommended

Hello Joao Arruda,

What language are you provisioning the phone with?

In my quick test earlier this morning whenever the user changed the language from either Portuguese to English internal or the other way round the phone always uploaded it's own <mac>-phone.cfg or changed it on the server.

I did not provision any language for the phone to start with.

I suggest you double check your configuration and if you still find to have issues work with your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of Polycom support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Consider these scenarios:

Scenario 1

1) Provisioning phone with lcl.ml.lang="Portuguese_Portugal" in <MAC>-default.cfg

2) Change the language (using the phone's menu) to English internal and no <mac>-phone.cfg is sent out.

Scenario 2

1) Provisioning phone with lcl.ml.lang="Portuguese_Portugal" in <MAC>-default.cfg

2) Change the language (using the phone's menu) to any option other than English internal and <mac>-phone.cfg is sent out with the updated value.

Regards,

Joao Arruda

HP Recommended

I can confirm that the system is broken for the first scenario above. The phone remains in English (internal) until the next reboot. At that point it reverts to the language specified in <MAC>-default.cfg because the <MAC>-phone.cfg was not uploaded to override the language to English (internal). This means the user's preference is not maintained.

Seems to be a problem caused by using a null value to specify the internal language. It's kind of hard to override a provisioned value to null when you can't save a null value to the <MAC>-phone.cfg xml file.

Ted Trask

HP Recommended

Hello Joao Arruda and Ted Trask,

as already replied twice now to Joao please  work with your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of Polycom support.

I cannot escalate this internally based on your replies as we require log files and wireshark traces containing customer data.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Steffen,

Understood. We will check how to bring that to our Polycom reseller.

Meanwhile, do you know if there is any option to remove English (Internal) from the phone's menu?

The following just seems to apply to all other languages:

lcl.ml.lang.list
a comma-separated list
A list of the languages supported on the phones.

Regards,

Joao Arruda

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.