Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Salvete!  I need an example of how to 000000000000.cfg with substitution to allow a mix of uc and legacy phones to have their own <macaddress>.cfg files

Just to let our friendly moderator(s) know that I have, indeed, read the faqs on this site, I have quoted them to illustrate where I am having confusion.

This particular FAQ says:

Above clearly shows how the different phone types utilize the substitutions method in order to load their own sip.ld.

Okay, that is clear for the use of the sip.ld files.  But what about the phones individual settings files?

In the UC Software Administrator's Guide v401 (page 93), it says:

To deploy phones from the provisioning server:
1 Obtain a list of phone MAC addresses for the phone you want to deploy.
2 Create a per-phone phone<MACaddress>.cfg file.
Enter the name of each per-phone and per-site configuration files created in steps 2 and 3 in the CONFIG_FILES attribute of the master configuration file (000000000000.cfg). For help using the master configuration file, see Master Configuration Files. For example, add a reference to phone<MACaddress>.cfg and sip650.cfg.

Well, okay, so what does a phone<macaddress>.cfg file's contents look like?  Where do I get a sample one? (and is that right - to use phone<macaddress>cfg and not just <macaddress>.cfg?)  Is phone<macaddress>.cfg just a renamed phone_1.cfg?

Then, how do I add a reference to phone<macaddress>.cfg and sip650.cfg?  There is no sip650.cfg to use that came in the UC_Software_4_0_2B_release_sig_split package. Where do I get that?  The 000000000000.cfg that comes with that release package does not include an entry for using any sip650.cfg.  And the 4.0.2 package doesn't come with a phone_1.cfg.

How do I enter the name of each per-phone configuration file? 

It does say in the substitution FAQ:

The substitution strings [PHONE_MODEL], [PHONE_PART_NUMBER] , [MACADDRESS], and [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] can be used.   NOTE: Please ensure to use the [ and ] brackets!

Would the line in 000000000000.cfg for an ip430, therefore, look like this?:

<APPLICATION_SPIP430 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP430="sip_326.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP430="phone1_326.cfg, sip_326.cfg" [<macaddress>]="phone<macaddress>.cfg" />

I could really use an example.

As for substitutions in 000000000000.cfg , I have studied the substitutions FAQ, but it doesn't tell me how to use a substitution in the 000000000000.cfg to tell each of my 10 ip650 phones to use any sort of override setting that is contained in a separate cfg file.

Would I be right to think that phone<macaddress>.cfg is the name of the file to use for overrides, and not just <macaddress>.cfg?  That would make sense, since if you use <macaddress>.cfg, the phone won't read the 000000000000.cfg file.  

After all, this other FAQ says:

The Phone on booting from the Provisioning Server will always look for it's own <mac>.cfg file and load this if it can be found.

In the absence the Phone will load the 000000000000.cfg.

But that same FAQ also says this (my emphasis):

...The CONFIG_FILES="" section in the <mac>.cfg would usually be used to load Phone specific configuration files affecting the single phone only. These could be SIP Authentication Username and Password or site specific configuration files like the IP Address / Hostname of the SIP Server or other Site Specific settings.

And so my questions stands  - how does the phone know where those phone-specific configurations are?  Can we put a reference to the file in the 000000000000.cfg (and what should it be called, and how is it configured?), or do we use the override tags inside of a phone<mac>.cfg file?

The UC Software Administrator's Guide (page 99) also says it:

"6 Remove the <MACaddress>.cfg files on your provisioning server if the files correspond to legacy phones."

AND, SoundPointIP_Phone_Support_in_SIP_3_2_TB35311.pdf, says:

Legacy phones are configured from the 000000000000.cfg master configuration file. All <ethernet-address>.cfg files that match the ethernet addresses of your legacy phones must be deleted from the provisioning server. This will force the legacy phones to use the 000000000000.cfg configuration file discussed in the next section.

So if I don't use any <macaddress>.cfg files in the directory, where does an override go?  Also, if I DO use a <macaddress>.cfg file, how can the phone know to use 000000000000.cfg? 

This is very confusing.  There are soooo many files, and information is spread all over, and things are missing (it seems).  There are no "easy" directions.

(also, I recommend using the term "Tutorial" instead of "FAQ" - anyone who uses web forums will automatically think of a FAQ as being a question and answer for the forum site itself, not a guide for configuring software)

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello BGM,

there is one Guide containing all Information and it is called the Admin Guide.

If you are using UCS 4.0.1 then the UCS 4.0.1 Admin Guide => here <= describes this in detail starting on Page 301 in the Section " Creating a Phone Configuration File "

In short, the 0000000000000.cfg or an individual <mac>.cfg file can be used.

I have just added some additional Information => here <= that should hopefully finally clarify your missunderstanding.

If you are still struggling call your Polycom Reseller or call Polycom Support and get charged the PPI fee.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Does this look right, then, for the 000000000000.cfg?  I want to specify for extensions 5555 and 5556 to also load their own config files.  Also, extensions 5557 and 5558 should load their specific ones too.  In this manner, there is no <mac>.cfg files anywhere, right?

<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="" LICENSE_DIRECTORY="" USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="">
   <APPLICATION_SPIP430 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP430="sip_326.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP430="phone1_326.cfg, sip_326.cfg, 000123451234-5555.cfg, 0033334abcd4-5556.cfg"/>
   <APPLICATION_SPIP600 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP601="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP601="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg, 00012345et34-5557.cfg, 00012345xz34-5558.cfg"/>
</APPLICATION>

And so, 0033334abcd4-5556.cfg would look like this?:

<polycomConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="/polycom/config-401b/polycomConfig.xsd">
    <reg>

reg.1.displayName="5555-1"

reg.1.label="Bob"

</reg>

<msg msg.bypassInstantMessage="1">

</polycomConfig>

How is that?

HP Recommended

Oh!  I think I have it now, thanks to your other clarifications:

<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="" LICENSE_DIRECTORY="" USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="">
   <APPLICATION_SPIP430 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP430="sip_326.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP430="phone1_326.cfg, sip_326.cfg, [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg"/>
   <APPLICATION_SPIP600 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP600="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP600="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg, [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg"/>
   <APPLICATION_SPIP601 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP601="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP601="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg, [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg"/>
</APPLICATION>

This is the example I wanted!  Now I just, as per your other (final) post, put my individual configs in the directory, and the 0000.cfg will know to load them because the entry "[PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg" was in the 0000.cfg.

0004f20588dd-extension.cfg

0004f205abcd-extension.cfg

And the uc phones ALREADY KNOW to use <mac>-extension.cfg, and so don't need any entry in the 00000.cfg.

Okay!

HP Recommended

@BGM wrote:

And the uc phones ALREADY KNOW to use <mac>-extension.cfg, and so don't need any entry in the 00000.cfg.

Okay!

For the sake of anyone else so that the work I put into the reply is not completely wasted please read & understand this reply => here <= 

Every Phone will load what is specified in the config_files="" section. If nothing is specified nothing will be loaded.

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK wrote:
For the sake of anyone else so that the work I put into the reply is not completely wasted please read & understand this reply => here <=

Mr. Baier, I am sure that your having helped someone through their problem does not seem like work that was "completely wasted".  Thanks to you, I was able to arrange things correctly with my 000000000000.cfg, and have my ip430's and ip601's in order with the central arrangement.

The biggest problem we had was simply communication.  But we (calmly... and ... patiently) worked through it, and you have made a difference for me.  And not only for me, but the 20 people who depend on me in my office, and then the thousands who depend on us in the country (it really is a dependency, as we are a Catholic religious order).

Thank you for your time!

With what has been accomplished, I should be able to put my ip650's and ip7000 in good order too.  If not, I'll know where to come!

God bless.

-BGM

HP Recommended

Hello BGM,

the community is there to help people but myself as a Polycom Employee should not provide free support.

This support should come from your reseller who sold you the units and if they are unable should escalate this to Polycom support.

A charge may occur as described => here <= but any other community member can answer or post solutions.

As you have noticed in your on going post that nobody did reply or help.

Our phones can be a bit complex to deploy for an end customer but these are the requirements in order to be able to run these units in a large environment. 

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Mr. Baier,  Yes, I understand the bit about polycom employees and limited support.  I was actually gratified that you went with me as far as you did; and I did notice that noone else answered.  As you say, Polycom phones are a bit complex, and I don't mind that at all - it makes them quality, too. 

As for a reseller, I don't have one.  The system was set up by a private individual, and I inherited the system from him.  He does assist me, but doesn't have any experience with the uc software or the newer phones.  Thus, I am constrained to use forums and online documentation - which is how I met you originally, in the asterisk.org forum (where nobody else answered there, either!).  There are a few questions at http://serverfault.com/questions/tagged/polycom, but obviously, not every question is covered or answered.

We just bought 30 polycom phones from an outlet store because Father Superior (he is the priest in charge of our religious order for the US) did not want to spend the extra thousand dollars that it would have taken to get the phones from a reseller.  We had already spent so much on our annex (stupid codes and contractor runarounds) that we needed to cut our losses somewhere.  Since I had been maintaining our phone system for the last 6 years (pre uc software), I figured I could do it.  Actually, I didn't even know what a bootrom was until a couple months ago when all of our ip430's stopped registering with the PBX!  I fixed the issue by upgrading their bootroms, using information I found in the FAQ's here.  Thus, I wanted to see what I could do before I contracted a service.

Then the new phones came along and I now have to deal with using all those phones together at once.  Following the FAQs and the guides, I knew I was pretty close to *understanding* what was going on - it isn't enough to just set it up so that it works - one needs to be able to look at that polycom ftp directory and *know* what each file does, and why it is there.

And I actually was on the verge of using paid support - but I figured it was just a matter of understanding what was in the FAQ guides, which, I for one (I don't know about anyone else), found missing in some details and examples that would have solved everything for me.

However, I have learned enough from our discussions that now I can help answer questions on certain topics - especially over on ServerFault where I can earn reputation points.  There are still some aspects of the directory configuration that I am still shy on, and I will probably mention them in a separate post at some point.

And I must say that I have had a good experience overall with polycom phones.  The few times I have spoken with polycom folk, they have been knowledgeable and helpful.

Thanks again.

-BGM

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.