Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

[FAQ] How can I setup certain Device parameters on my phone via a configuration file?

Polycom Employee & Community Manager

[FAQ] How can I setup certain Device parameters on my phone via a configuration file?

The <device/> parameters—also known as device settings—can be used to initialize multiple phones and remove the need for manual interaction with the handsets to configure basic settings.

The relevant Admin Guide matching the Phones Software release can be consulted for more details.

Use Caution When Changing Device Parameters:

Any device parameter change requires the usage of the device.set="1" to be activated.

Use caution when changing <device/> parameters as incorrect settings may apply the same IP address to multiple phones.

Note that some parameters may be ignored.

For example, if DHCP is enabled it will still override the value set with device.net.ipAddress.

Though individual parameters are checked to see whether they are in range, the interaction between parameters is not checked.

If a parameter is out of range, an error message will display in the log file and parameter will not be used.

Incorrect configuration can put the phones into a reboot loop.

For example, server A has a configuration file that specifies that server B should be used, and server B has a configuration file that specifies that server A should be used.

To detect errors, including IP addess conflicts, Polycom recommends that you test the new configuration files on two phones before initializing all phones.

In order to use below examples you will need to create your own configuration file. This is described in => here <=

Example 1 Setting the Boot Server Address:

Although this can simple be done using the DHCP Option's as explained => here <= there may be the need to do this via a configuration file instead.

<change device.set="1"
 device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt.set="1"
 device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt="Static"
 device.prov.user.set="1"
 device.prov.user="test"
 device.prov.password.set="1"
 device.prov.password="test"
 device.prov.serverType.set="1"
 device.prov.serverType="FTP"
 device.prov.serverName.set="1"
 device.prov.serverName="polycom.com" />

Above example set's:

• The DHCP Server option to a static value instead of the default Customer and Option 66
  • Set's the Username of the server to test
  • Set's the Username of the server to test
  • Set's the Servertype as FTP server
  • Set's the Servers address as Polycom.com

Example 2 Setting a fixed IP address:

<change device.set="1"
 device.dhcp.enabled.set="0"
 device.dhcp.enabled="1"
 device.net.ipAddress.set="1"
 device.net.ipAddress="192.168.178.2"
 device.net.subnetMask.set="1"
 device.net.subnetMask="255.255.255.0"
 device.net.IPgateway.set="1"
 device.net.IPgateway="192.168.178.1"
 device.dns.serverAddress.set="1"
 device.dns.serverAddress="8.8.8.8" />

Above example set's:

• Disables the DHCP option on the phone
  • Set's an IP address of 192.168.178.2
  • Set's a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0
  • Set's an Gateway of 192.168.178.1
  • Set's an DNS server of 8.8.8.8

Other examples for VLAN can be found => here <= or to override the time settings can be found => here <=

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 1 of 1