Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

[FAQ] How to gather logs from a CX5500 unit?

Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

[FAQ] How to gather logs from a CX5500 unit?

The CX5500, unlike other Polycom products, is a hybrid device utilizing the UC Software from the VVX Business Media phones for the telephone part and its own operating system for the Video Client side.

In order to gather the “Video Client” Side logs a USB Stick must be utilized with the below highlighted USB Sockets.

CX5500_USB_Port_Camera.pngCX5500_USB_Port_Base.png

Simply plug the stick into the Unit and it will upload the logs within around 15 seconds

A new folder matching the Serial Number of the Unit will be created and within one or multiple Log_XXXXXXXXXX.tgz file(s)

The above can then be utilized by Polycom support

USB UC Software Logs:

The CX5500 USB stick logs can be utilized to gather UC Software related logs from a CX5500 when troubleshooting LYNC, Skype for Business or SIP related issues on a Polycom CX5500

Browse to the CX5500 Web Interface:

CX5500_USB_logs_00.PNG

Set the UC Software logging level to debug via Settings > Logging > Global Settings > debug

Select the relevant Module Log Level Limits (example SIP at Debug)

CX5500_USB_logs_01.PNG

Replicate the Issue and plug the USB stick into the side of the camera unit or the base unit and wait for around 30 seconds.

The Logs can be found on the USB stick and are in the Sub Directory with the Name or the MAC address of the Unit. Browse to this directory and one or multiple TGZ files can be found containing the logs. Open the one with the latest date and time.

The archive will contain multiple files and the Messages file hold the CX5500 OS and in addition the UC Software logs

CX5500_USB_logs_02.PNG

Once the file has been opened with the application that is chosen to handle Text files you can find the UC Software Logs

CX5500_USB_logs_03.PNG

Provisioning Server UC Software Logs

In order to gather the “Phone” Side logs ideally a => Provisioning Server <=

CXProvisioningServer.PNG

or a => Syslog Server <= can be utilized.

CXSyslog Server.PNG

A small amount of logs are in addition directly accessible via the CX5500 Web Interface as shown below:

CX5500_WebUI_LOgs.png

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

[FAQ] How to gather a Wireshark capture from a CX5500 / CX5100 unit?

Since Software 1.3.0 a FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive can be used to capture a wireshark trace.

Usually if a USB flash is detected at CX5x00 device booting up, the CX5x00 will export its configuration to the attached USB flash automatically.

• Set the only parameter in “plcm_tcpdump_in_seconds.cfg” file with the desired log tracing duration, ranged from 1 to 300 seconds

• Save “plcm_tcpdump_in_seconds.cfg” file to a FAT32 USB flash, then plug the USB flash to CX5x00 device

• Once CX5x00 detects this USB flash with an effective “plcm_tcpdump_in_seconds.cfg” file, the wireshark trace will be triggered automatically, and save the traced log into USB flash

• Once the time interval specified with “plcm_tcpdump_in_seconds.cfg” file expires, the trace will be stopped

• A zipped example file is attached to this post. It is pre-configured for 300 secondsWiresharkCaptureCX.png

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.