Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I just inherited responsibility of the phones at work, and we have a decent number of 601s. A handful of them appear to have been bought used from Fonality. Reason I say this, is the boot server information defaults to Fonality. This causes problems, as on our network, the phones cannot contact the outside world, and the phones will through a 0x4020 Config error because they're set to try and contact Fonality's servers. Now, if I go in, switch the boot server to be TFTP instead of HTTPS, and blank out the address for Fonality, the phones will boot, but if they get defaulted, the fonality info returns. Now, I know we can work around this by manually blanking out the boot server address, but I'd prefer to just solve it for once and all instead of working around it. What can I do about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Hellmark,

thanks for providing this Information.

Polycom works with several Partners and Phones are often subsidized or be given for free to a End Customer but ensured from the Partner that they cannot be used on any other platform or at least are easy to setup without any additional User Interaction.

Certain features can be programmed in the Factory and this includes Provisioning Server Details.

What you have not yet provided as an Information is if your DHCP Server in your network provides the Phones with a Custom Option (current Phones 160, older Phones 150) and / or a DHCP Option 66?

NOTE: This would need to be added to your DHCP Server and depends on the Operating System used.

Is your DHCP Client on the Phone enabled?

Does your Boot Server in the DHCP Menu show Custom+Opt.66 ?

The error x4020 simply tells that it cannot find a boot server to load the sip.cfg, phone1.cfg and the sip.ld / BootRom.ld

Please verify above and setup your DHCP Server to provide a Provisioning Server and the phones should be able to Boot.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello Hellmark,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

We kindly encourage users in the FAQ to use the search function first before posting a new Issue as many questions have already been answered.

Searching for the words Factory Default will get you plenty of answers.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I know how to default the phones, and even double checked your guide before posting to double check if I was doing something wrong. As mentioned when I do default the phones, it inserts information for Fonality onto the phones. We do not use fonality, nor is there any Fonality info in our config files on the server. Not only that, but the settings that appear after defaulting do not allow the phone to connect to our server to get our configuration.

This is what happens step by step.

1. Factory Default the phones using the exact method mentioned in your guide. 
  2. Phones reboot
  3. The phones attempt to connect to a fonality https boot server, which it cannot  reach on our network, as we do not allow the phones to reach out to the internet themselves. (Our SIP server is on our local network, so no need for the phones to have internet access)
  4. The phones give a config error 0x4020
  5. Phones eventually loop back to step 2

The only way to get the phones to work is to go into setup before the phones attempt to connect, and manually remove the boot server information, so the phones can use the boot server specified in DHCP.

HP Recommended

Hello Hellmark,

thanks for providing this Information.

Polycom works with several Partners and Phones are often subsidized or be given for free to a End Customer but ensured from the Partner that they cannot be used on any other platform or at least are easy to setup without any additional User Interaction.

Certain features can be programmed in the Factory and this includes Provisioning Server Details.

What you have not yet provided as an Information is if your DHCP Server in your network provides the Phones with a Custom Option (current Phones 160, older Phones 150) and / or a DHCP Option 66?

NOTE: This would need to be added to your DHCP Server and depends on the Operating System used.

Is your DHCP Client on the Phone enabled?

Does your Boot Server in the DHCP Menu show Custom+Opt.66 ?

The error x4020 simply tells that it cannot find a boot server to load the sip.cfg, phone1.cfg and the sip.ld / BootRom.ld

Please verify above and setup your DHCP Server to provide a Provisioning Server and the phones should be able to Boot.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

The DHCP server gives both 160 and 66.

The phones list Custom+Opt.66 in the DHCP menu.

For all of the other phones (we have quite a few polycom phones), DHCP works fine, and the phones boot as expected. These specific phones that I am fighting with appear to not contact the boot server mentioned in DHCP, but rather just attempt the fonality server. 

Is there any way that these phones can be set to a normal factory default?

HP Recommended

Hello Hellmark,

it would need Option 150 for a SPIP601 as they usually use Option 150.

If you can prove in Wireshark that the Phone is being offered the Location of the Boot Server and still attempts to boot from they previous Provider the Factory Settings must be set to static and ignore the DHCP Request.

There is no way for an End Customer to change this as that functionality is programmed into the Flash in the Factory.

Are the Phones running the latest BootROM 4.1.4 just to exclude any Software Issues?

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

150 is also used, although I got the models mixed up. The 601s are the ones here that are working fine, and its the 550s with the fonality issue. 

Really sucks that I can't remove that. These apparently were sold off, unsubsidied, by Fonality as phone they no longer wanted. Just would make my job easier if I could treat them the same as the others.

HP Recommended

Hello Hellmark,

the SPIP 550 should run on the BootROM 4.3.1.

Could you not just put an DNS Entry on your Servers to resolve the old Providers FQDN to an internal IP hosting the Server Type they use to Provision?

The Username should be in clear text and you can just setup a HTTP / FTP / TFTP Server and use the provisioning method I pointed out in the FAQ.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.