Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

We were shipped a "brand new" VVX 600 and it came pre loaded with other users information and recent calls etc. So it is obviously a refurb even though we paid for a new one. I want to do a factory reset on the item however the default admin password 456 has been changed. When I attempt to factory reset by pushing and holding 1 3 and 5, it prompts for the admin password. This defeats the purpose of doing a factory restart. I would like to avoid having to RMA the unit (against my better judgement since this is a refurbed unit). How can I complete a factory reset of the unit without knowing the admin password? I know on older models pressing the key combination would reset the admin password <removed by the moderator>. I am guessing this is no longer the case as it does not reset<removed by the moderator>, or that functionality was locked down somehow.

Thanks,

Aaron

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Aaron,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

You should really make your Polycom reseller aware that they have shipped you a previously registered phone.

I had to remove certain reference from your original post as we do not publicly disclose this procedure.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 10, 2011 Question: How can I reset / Factory default my Phones configuration?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

This contains:

Resetting to Factory Defaults:

Resetting the phone to factory defaults clears the flash parameters and removes log files, user data, and cached data.

You can use a multiple key combination to reset your phone to the factory defaults. Depending on your phone model, press and hold the following keys simultaneously during the Updater/BootROM countdown process until the password prompt displays.

This information is also included in the UCS Admin Guide. The multiple key combination needs to be applied when the phone displays the countdown. When the phone is rebooted you need to cancel the startup process and then press the combination.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

In my OP, i specifically stated that I followed the steps outlined in your link and that they DID NOT work. I was asking for help beyond what is readily available on the net and Polycom site. If this is the wrong place to ask, or if you are unable or unwilling to help, just say so as that repsonse would have been more helpful, so I can know to look elsewhere.

I tried to RMA but i was told by my supplier: "Polycom began shipping this model phone before they were ready to be released to the public, and there were unknown firmware and hardware issues, like the one you described, when they began shipping. Polycom has since put a  temporary halt on all shipments of the VVX600s until this issue is resolved."

I would advise against ordering this product for anyone thinking about doing so until Polycom fixes thir issues with it.

Thanks.

Aaron

HP Recommended

@ajimmerson wrote:

When I attempt to factory reset by pushing and holding 1 3 and 5, it prompts for the admin password. This defeats the purpose of doing a factory restart. 

and

If this is the wrong place to ask, or if you are unable or unwilling to help, just say so as that response would have been more helpful, so I can know to look elsewhere.

Hello Aaron,

lets try this again.

Nowhere in your post did you state that you followed the steps outlined in the linke FAQ post.

As a vast amount of Polycom phones are shipped to service providers, who often subsidies the price of the phone over the period the service used, the investment made needs to be protected.

In order to do so Polycom does not publicly disclose how to circumvent the password protection. We cannot control post's on the public domain but any post made within the community, on how to do this, are removed.

This mechanism simply protects the administrators from untrained users deleting phone settings or phones from being utilized by third parties without the knowledge of their original owners.

Users often do not change the administrator password and simply use the multiple key combination to simply reset the phone clearing out any other changes they made.

Since the introduction of the UCS 3.3.0 Software the phone no longer displays a countdown on bootup and therefore the start of the application needs to be interrupted.

This was outlined in my original reply and I have since then also added photos to the linked FAQ post to make this even more clear.

When the phone initially boots up, and had displayed the Polycom logo, the message "starting Application, press Cancel to interrupt" will appear.

The Softkey cancel can be pressed and the familiar countdown is show.

Within this selection menu the multiple key combination (matching the phone) for the factory reset needs to be pressed.

I just tested this with a VVX600 without any issues using the method you are aware of. As a result the phone has been reset to the factory defaults.

I did answer your original post with the correct method that should be utilized and the Polycom community is the official place to do so.

You reseller seem to have mixed up a few details and I ask you again to follow this up with Polycom support via your reseller to ensure that any issues in our factory can be profesionally investigated. 

A brand new phone should never be refurbished and I would appreciate if you could in parallel provide the phone in questions MAC address.

If you did follow above advise to the letter and the reset still fails your next step needs to be to get your reseller to replace the phone they provided to you.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I know this was posted over a year ago but I wanted to share my fix but this only works if you have access to the provisioning server and the phone is still setup to use it.

I had a user who's phone was hacked and the key combo of course does not work since it also wants the admin password, however I was able to follow the instructions here:

http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/FAQ-What-is-the-Standard-Username-and-Password-for-a-Polycom/td...

by adding those 2 lines to the config file on my provisioning server (again, luckily that was setup on this phone already), editing to have the default admin password and upon reboot I confirmed the password was reset to factory then I removed those 2 lines from the mac-phone.cfg file.

HP Recommended

For the reference of others who may find this thread, as did I, whilst looking for the answer to the question:

You can enter the <removed by a moderator>

HP Recommended

Hello Zarniwoop,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

We do not disclose within this official Polycom community how to reset the Phones if the Admin Password is lost.

Many of our partners utilize these phones and offer services so we cannot publicly disclose the procedure to do so.

I have removed part of your post and I will close the topic. Please do not post this again within this community.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.