Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Forcing VVX phones to update firmware from Lync server

Occasional Advisor

Forcing VVX phones to update firmware from Lync server

Hi guys -

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting VVX devices to automatically connect to a Lync server and download an approved firmware without any additional deployment settings required?

In my testing, it seems the VVX devices refuse to connect to Lync until the following paramater is enabled:

device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled="1"

Of course, the only way to deploy this setting en-masse is to use a seperate deployment server, which does defeat the whole purpose of Lync based firmware deployments (in my opionion). I would have expected this setting to be set by default when the Lync profile is enabled on the device??

Can anyone please confirm this is expected behaviour, or is a known issue/bug etc?

Regards, James.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Forcing VVX phones to update firmware from Lync server

Hello James Frost, 

to my knowledge this is currently working as designed.

I believe there are plans to offer a orderable SKU for phones already in LYNC mode (aka no requirement to set this via a server or multiple key combination)

If the above would include the Auto Update via the LYNC server is not something I am aware off.

I recommend to work with your Polycom reseller so you can be brought in touch with a Polycom sales engineer.

This could enable you to receive insight into a future roadmap once a non-disclosure agreement is signed.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 5
Occasional Advisor

Hi there,

I'm not sure you understand the scenario. The base profile is already set to Lync. After this is set, the device still fails to contact the Lync server to check for firmware updates unless I deploy a seperate configuration file from a deployment server that specifically instructs the device to point to Lync for firmware updates.

As far as I understand, there should be no difference between a VVX with a Lync SKU and a device manually configured with a base profile set to 'Lync'?

Anyway, I'll reach out to my local Polycom SE to confirm.

Regards, James.

Message 3 of 5
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello James Frost, 

to get the Phone(s) into the LYNC Base profile there is already an interaction required.

Either manually in the menu or via a configuration file from a provisioning server.

If via a server you can also add the update configuration.

Working with a Polycom SE is the correct way forward.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 4 of 5
Advisor

One other place to check is on the Lync Server control panel.  Make sure you've uploaded the cab files to a Lync front end server and then you can either set the Pending version to approved, or go to the Test Devices and enter the MAC address or S/N of the phone.  Test devices get pending firmware automatically.  I attached a screenshot as an example.