Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I was wonderig if anyone knows why the default configuration for the polycom applications has g.711 at a higher priority then G.729. It seems to me that G.729 would typically be preferred before G.711 due to packet size.

The reason i am bringing this up is we have seen several smaller companies that are trying to share a standard T1 with voice traffic and data traffic. They seem to experience some congestion when they are speaking with another users on the system. These calls are using the G.722 (HD) codec. We were playing with the idea of Disabling the G.722 codec and prioritizing the G.729 above the G.711 protocal to keep the file sizes down.

Anyone see any issues with this thought process.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello gtaggart,

G711 is a free codec where G729 is a licensed codec as far as I am aware.

Asterisk / Digium for example offers a license to purchase.

You can change the codec order via the Web Gui or via a configuration file to suit your needs.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
So technically there is no reason why Polycom prioritizes g.729 lower than g.711?

ifs done more to be more compatible with the many different Oldfield Platforms available.

I know how to change the priority through Web and config server. My question was more about why that would be the default since it would seen that you would want g.729 before g711.
HP Recommended

Dears

We are doing DMA integration with CUCM , where CUCM need the Audio Codec to be g.711 while polycom send calls with G.729 by default . How to change it on DMA for External SIP PEERS. Where is the option in DMA ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.