Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Hosted PBX service providers that support BToE

Occasional Advisor

Hosted PBX service providers that support BToE

I really want to use BToE in my office, but my current Hosted PBX vendor, 8x8, doesn't allow me to pair my laptop to my VVX411.  They say it causes a conflict with the MAC address so the pairing feature is disabled.  Sounded fishy so I called Ring Central, they don't support BToE.  Vonage same deal.  

I'm wondering if there is a Hosted PBX out there who would allow me to use BToE or is there actually a networking conflict that prevents me from using it on any Hosted PBX platform?

I'm located in the US, using a couple of 411s, both running 5.6.5.6003

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Hosted PBX service providers that support BToE

Hello @sacountry,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

BToE aka Better together over Ethernet is an application used when utilizing Skype for Business or LYNC. 

The providers you mention to my knowledge only offer SIP services.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 11
Occasional Advisor

It seemed like BToE was the right solution for me to access my Polycom station from computer workstation.  I'd like to initiate calls from my workstation which is 15 feet from my desk where I keep my Polycom.  Is there a better solution for remote dialing?  Obviously on the same LAN, not looking for remote dialing via WAN/Internet.

Message 3 of 11

Hello @sacountry,

Have a look at Polycom Desktop connector instead.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 4 of 11
Occasional Advisor

I've tried the PDC, but I'm unable to get it to connect.  The popup on the 411 never comes up despite pressing "reconnect" from the phone.  do you know PDC is supported with the 411?  I couldn't find the supported device information on the website.  Seems like the videos online show it running on the 500 phones.

Message 5 of 11

Most likely a firewall/network issue. It’s supported on all VVX phones.

Replied via a mobile device

Message 6 of 11
Occasional Advisor

Good to know that it's supported.  I've gone back to troubleshooting PDC now.  I've disabled Windows firewall on my Win7 laptop.  Still can't get the phone pop up to come up after selecting "reconnect".  I've looked at several versions of the UC guides and don't seem to find any troubleshooting tips.  Is there somewhere you can direct me?

Message 7 of 11

Hello @sacountry,

There seems to be an issue when using a currently supported software like UC Software 5.8.0

I got it working as an example downgrading to 5.0.1

I will update this post once I identified the root cause.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Message 8 of 11
Occasional Advisor

I was able to get it working with 5.6.5.6003 and Win7 on my laptop.  VVX411 is wired to the router, the Win 7 laptop connects via WiFi.  It works as it should.  The PDC is  just slightly clunky because my laptop is technically 180 degrees from my registered VVX.  

My only other desire would be to hang an unregistered (I use 8x8) VVX 411 off my registered 411 with a long ethernet cable out the PC port of the registered VVX411 so I could initiate calls from the unregistered VVX at my workstation.  Would a "daisy chain" type configuration be plausible if I used the VVX D60 software config even though I'm technically using another 411 instead of the D60.  Completely out of left field and not a specification intended by Polycom so I get it if it wouldn't work.

Message 9 of 11

Hello @sacountry,

Great news that you got it working.

I never piggy backed a VVX of another VVX so this is not officially supported but your Software is very old and since UC Software 5.8.0 we support a ObiHai WiFi adapter so this may do what you want.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Message 10 of 11