Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello Polycom,

When enabling the prov.polling settings in a Polycom phone, how does it know when a change has been made to it's configuration? Does the phone compare the old and new config for differences, or does it hash the config and compare the difference that way?

I ask because I have turned on device polling and currently testing it. I used the tech bulliten to setup these settings on a PC 335 runnin UC4.0.7:

prov.polling.enable="1"

prov.polling.type="rel"

prov.polling.period="3600"

As I undstand it the phone should now check the provisioning server for a new configuration every hour, correct?

Thank you,

Brion

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Brion,

the phone will attempt to download the files specified within the <mac>.cfg / 000000000000.cfg and check if the checksum of the file is different and then download and apply the file if it is.

The Admin Guide shows examples on how to use polling.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you for that information, as it is missing from the Admin Guide. Is this phone smart enough to only count valid data in its configuration file or does it count comments in the file as well?

HP Recommended

Hello Brion,

the phone will only look at the checksum and then download the configuration file if this has changed. It will parse the file and if nothing has changed will not make any changes.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.