Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi All, first time poster as this is he first time I have encountered a problem I have been unable to solve. I have a flat network. I had Windows servers running my DHCP (various versions throughout the years). The latest was only being used for DHCP so I de-commisioned it and set up DHCP on my Tomato router. Every device is happily using the new DHCP excpt my Polycom phones. The boot server option is set correctly in the dnsmasq.conf - dhcp-option=66,"tftp://XX.XX.XX.XX" - and the phones are set to accept a string. They will not boot. I have traced with wireshark and I can see the "discover" packet and the DHCP server responding with the boot string. The polycoms ignore it. There is no other change on the network other than the DCHP server. If I re-start the Windows server the Polycoms then start to boot and behave, but now that server has crashed with a hardware failuire so I am up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Any ideas out there? I hope someone can help! Much thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

there's no real reason to specify tftp:// in option 66 if you're actually handing out a tftp server. Try just giving them the IP address and see how they behave.

HP Recommended

Thanks; I have tried with and without the TFTP, with single quotes, with double quotes to no avail. You can see the offer packet in wireshark providing the correct infor, but it is ignored.

HP Recommended

There are options in the boot menu for provisioning server discovery as I recall.. its been a while since I have done anything with 3.x devices. 

If you enter the Setup menu during boot, under DHCP Menu, there are options for Boot Server. Options are Static, Custom, and Custom + Opt 66 or Option 66. What are yours set for?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.