Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

this is my first try with provisioning Polycom IP-phones. I have had more success with Yealink, Snom, Grandstream and Digium.

I followed this guide : http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/FAQ-I-get-the-error-Message-Could-not-contact-boot-server-on-my...

But I still get : Could not contact boot server

I have tried filling in the following when the SoundPoint IP 550 IP-phone is booting up :

DHCP Menu > Boot Server : Custom

Server Menu > Server Type : HTTPS

Server Menu > Server Address : provisioning.mydomain.tld/101001

Server Menu > Server User : 101001

Server Menu > Server Password : **********

But I get the message "Could not contact boot server"

I have also tried with the following setting :

Server Menu > Server Address : https://provisioning.mydomain.tld/101001

I have even tried with IP-address of provisioning server in stead of the DNS-name.

On my provisioning server, I see no attempts to contact the server in de logfiles.

So what else do I need for settings ? It seems simple but IP-phone is unable to contact provisioning server.

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hello yocanbvba,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

This is most likely a certificate issue or similar and a simple wireshark trace via a spanned port should show what the phone is communication to the server.

The community's VoIP => FAQ <= contains this post here:

Jan 19, 2012 Question: How to troubleshoot Polycom VoIP related Issues?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

If it is a certificate issue, shouldn't I see contact attempts in my http provisioning server logs ?

In the logfiles, there is no attempt whatsoever coming from the IP-address of the IP-phone.

HP Recommended

Hello yocanbvba,

as already replied you will need a spanned port in order to capture the phones traffic.

This will show you in detail what traffic the phone is sending.

The FAQ post explains this in detail and also has a link to the Polycom log explanation which also shows how to utilize Syslog.

Only yourself can determine the issue in your network.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello,

I followed your guide and pointed the Polycom IP550 to the syslog server.

http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/FAQ-How-can-change-Logging-Levels-or-use-Syslog/td-p/4741

But there is no information added to the logfiles...

In the webinterface of my Polycom IP550 I have set :

General > Logging > Global Log Level Limit : Debug

General > Logging > Log To Standard Output : enabled

General > Logging > Log To File : enabled

General > Logging > Log Level Limits : all to "Minor Error"

There is no firewall active on the syslog server. SElinux is disabled.

So why is there no logging send to the syslog server ?

HP Recommended

Hello yocanbvba,

as already mentioned twice now  you will need a spanned port in order to capture the phones traffic.

This will show you in detail what traffic the phone is sending.

I am unaware if this is a brand new unit or a used unit and what the history of this phone is or what the current software version it is on.

Can you even browse to the Web Interface or does the phone even get an IP. Above details you provided sound like the phone was programmed via the Phone Menu.

You will need a packet capture to check if the phone is even sending anything to the IP address of the syslog server and how it is trying to communicate with the provisioning server.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Yes I can log in to the web interface, and the IP-phone is even registrered (with SIP configuration through the webinterface).

So no problem here.

I just find it very difficult to debug when something goes wrong. There is no local logfile whatsoever or any other indication on what is going wrong.

A said, I've provisioned Snom, Yealink, Grandstream, Digium,... IP-phones but Polycom does not really seem to be maid for it.

I will continue my search but will likely cast aside Polycom. Pity...

HP Recommended

Hello yocanbvba,

without telling the community what software version the phone is running it is rather difficult to advise the troubleshooting you can do.

Since UCS 4.0.0 the phone can access its local logs.

In addition if this is a new phone your Polycom reseller should be your support contact in order to troubleshoot this with yourself.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Like I said, I will keep trying to debug this issue.

Using out of the box version 3.3.3.0069

I have now succesfully created a situation where I can get capture of SYSLOG messages with wireshark.

I see the following message :

Message: Jan 17 13:13:15 192.168.1.115 000021.995|copy |*|00|Server 'provisioning.domain.tld' said '101001/0004f2432bc4.cfg' is not present

Jan 17 13:08:54 192.168.1.115 000022.135|copy |*|00|Server 'provisioning.domain.tld' said '101001/000000000000.cfg' is not present

However, the file 0004f2432bc4.cfg IS PRESENT. So why is this file not loaded ??

Is 000000000000.cfg mandatory ?

HP Recommended

Hello yocanbvba,

The provisioning method and software you are using is used by tens of thousands of our customers every day and I would be inundated with support calls if such simple provisioning method would not work.

I simply suggest to upgrade to the latest UCS 4.0.5 via FTP on a local PC. That way you can immediately see an incoming request from the phone.

In addition the Wireshark trace should also show the server's response (and verify it is talking to the right server) and you can follow the TCP packets and see the whole exchange i.e. the GET from the Phone and the reply from the server.

This should all be logged on your server end.

The UCS 4.0.5 will also give you access to the logs on the phone.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.