Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

You said : This is most likely a certificate issue

2 questions :

1.How can I get more verbosity on the syslog messages ?

2. How can I disable certifcate issues ? (like disable "only accept signed certificates". My server has a self-signed certificate)

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I think I found that the Polycom IP-phone contact via http and not via https.

How can I get the Polycom to contact the provisioning server via https ?

Above, previous, questions also still apply.

HP Recommended

I have now tried upgrading the firmware with a local FTP-server, but also here the Polycom IP-phone does nothing. It does not even contact the FTP-server.

When I try logging in with the user and paswoord that is set from a simple FTP-client, everything works fine.

Mon Jan 20 12:00:21 2014 [pid 5459] CONNECT: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:21 2014 [pid 5459] FTP response: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "220 (vsFTPd 3.0.2)"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:24 2014 [pid 5459] FTP command: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "USER polycom"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:24 2014 [pid 5459] [polycom] FTP response: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "331 Please specify the password."
Mon Jan 20 12:00:25 2014 [pid 5459] [polycom] FTP command: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "PASS <password>"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:25 2014 [pid 5458] [polycom] OK LOGIN: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:25 2014 [pid 5460] [polycom] FTP response: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "230 Login successful."
Mon Jan 20 12:00:25 2014 [pid 5460] [polycom] FTP command: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "SYST"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:25 2014 [pid 5460] [polycom] FTP response: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "215 UNIX Type: L8"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:44 2014 [pid 5460] [polycom] FTP command: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "QUIT"
Mon Jan 20 12:00:44 2014 [pid 5460] [polycom] FTP response: Client "::ffff:192.168.1.101", "221 Goodbye."

But when I give these same login params (username + password) into the Polycom phione at startup, the IP-phone does nothing.

I have now tried everything you told me, but still don't have a working Polycom IP-phone.

I don't see no other way than concluding that Polycom IP-phones are VERY UNSTABLE and therefore unusable.

If you have any further advice, please tell me.

HP Recommended

Hello 

as already replied to yourself in your other post => here <=.

Our phones are used in uncountable customer premises all over the world and if the correct software, configuration and methods to upgrade are followed can be used without any of your reported issues.

In regards to your HTTPS question as long as you do not have a valid known certificate on your server the phone will be unable to establish a HTTPS connection.

You should see this key exchange in the wireshark trace as advised in my replies.

A list of supported Trusted Certificate Authority's is listed on Page 341 of the UCS 4.0.1 Admin guide.

You can in addition download the Polycom Root CA as explained on page 285 of the UCS 4.0.1 Admin guide.

In order to troubleshoot this from our end a support ticket via your Polycom reseller would be required.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I've build a whole suite of provisioning system for all telephone brand, and I must say Polycom is in the top as the easiest to manage (even with their changes in the configuration file they introduce)

Most of my provisioning were done without https, mostly http.

I did just play this weekend to get  to get https running and did got a few problems.  For once, polycom phone doesn't support wildcard certificate.  Second, firmware 3.x (not sure which exactly) doesn't support TLS SNI, which mean you have no choice to have 1 certificate per IP.  Finding a inexpensive ssl compatible certificate provider can be tricky, but once you figure out what you have to look for, it easy.

To figure out my certificate communication trouble, I used wireshark from packet sniffing done from the server, and I increased the log file from Apache web server.  I never needed any information from the phone itself.

But the very first thing you should do when provisioning any new phone is do it in http or ftp form so you can easily debug problem, then switch over to encryption.

HP Recommended

Hello all,

another thing to remember is the fact that the low level BootROM does not support encryption. So initial connections, before the application loads (SIP) are using insecure protocols.

The new Updater (UCS 4.0.0 or later) should support HTTPS and FTPS.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen:

Could you pointme to a document on how to upgrade the firmware using FTP?

Thanks,

Carlos

HP Recommended

Hello @Braveheart,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure you always check the community FAQ and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up post’s.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

I was able to reset adn upgrade the firmware.

Now I run into these 2 problems:

sip.ld file does not exist or is missing in the phone, could we transfer it from a good working one?

certificate is self-signed, but works on 1 but not on others, could we transfer the same certificate to the other phones?

Thanks,

Carlos

HP Recommended

Hello @Braveheart,

The FAQ posted is quite extensive so all questions asked should be answered.

A downloaded firmware from the Web contains all files.

Check:

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

So far your original post and response to it is missing basic details aka the phone model and the currently used software.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.