Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

As the subject indicates we are using a central provisioning server to host our config files, we have an IP 650 for which we have made configuration changes that is not checking the provisioning server for updated .cfg files following a reboot.  We've performed packet captures and the phone comes up following a reboot, gets its dhcp info, does a dns query for its sip registration server, and proceeds to register without ever checking in with the ftp server.  This was after a power-cycle, power was pulled for 30 seconds so it wasn't a soft boot.  Any ideas on what to check?  Any way to force the phone to pull down a new configuration from its provisioning server outside of a reboot?

Thanks,

Jim

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Phone Information

Phone Model SoundPoint IP 650

Part Number 2345-12600-001 Rev:N

UC Software Version 4.0.5.4853

BootROM Software Version 5.0.5.2324

HP Recommended

Hello Jim,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Firstly UC Software 4.0.5 is no longer a supported version and you should look into upgrading your phone. UC Software 4.0.10 is at present the latest.

In addition it would help if you tell us how you are setting the provisioning server details.

• Manually on the phone?
  • DHCP Option 160 or 66?
  • Did you check the Web Interface under Settings > Provisioning Server ?
  • Did you check the Backup if it contains a Server that you added via Utilities > Phone Backup & Restore?

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Reboot the Phone remotely or via the Web Interface

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above explains in detail how a Check-Sync can be used to trigger the phone to check for configuration changes on the provisioning server.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thank you for replying.  The provisioning server is hard-coded on the phone, not being issued via dhcp options.  We see all the correct information on the provisioning server tab of the web gui, and we have rebooted the phone several times via the web gui in order to perform the captures.  When that didn't work we had the customer pull power to the phone, wait 30 seconds, and restore power - no difference, it never checks with the ftp server and it never reaches out to update its boot and application logs, either.  It simply makes no attempt to initiate an outbound FTP connection.

Is there a tool that most folks use to send the sip notify?  With the phone in a remote location I don't know how to initiate a sip notify from here - in our lab I have uses sipvicious, is there something else you'd recommend?  I'll check the FAQ for that in case it's in there, I've googled and don't find anything.

Thanks again for your response.

Jim

edit - I should note we're using an upstream provider for our phone switch/pbx so we don't have the ability to issue the SIP messages directly from the pbx.

HP Recommended

Hello Jim,

A wireshark trace may be helpful but would need to be looked at by Polycom support so please raise this via your Polycom reseller.

If the reseller is some Internet discounter and is unable or unwilling to do this please provide me with a MAC address of one of the phones and I look this up.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.