Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am not sure how this happened, as I am fairly new at administrating Polycom phones. I added a phone extension by copying the config of an existing phone's configuration and changing the pertinent parts (MAC address) and the phone worked as desired. The next morning I come into the office and find all the phones have had their 2 extra soft keys missing (the default New Call and Forward are there) and all are displaying January 1st as their time. All the phones rebooted at 3am for some arbitrary reason and lost their NTP information.

I have since been able to fix their date/time by adding in the correct NTP information to sip.cfg, but I cannot re-add softkeys. I've pined through documentation and read up on macros and adding lines to XML files but I am unsure where to add things and even trying a few things I can't make the soft keys show up. Is there a guide available somewhere for this? The phones' FW version is 3.0.1.

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Chris,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Have a look around the FAQ and utilize the search function as these subjects haven been discussed on many occasions.

The Log files hold valuable information and confirm if the phone actually loads your modified configuration at all.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately I have looked in the logs and found no such thing that would indicate as to why this has happened. I am less concerned with finding a root cause at this point and more concerned with re-adding the soft keys. I have attempted to add a softkey as a test and had no luck. I have been using this guide to try and map an idle soft key but no dice. On page 4-53, it shows an example to map a soft key to DND. I added the following to my sip.cfg and rebooted a phone:

<softkey softkey.1.label="DND" softkey.1.action="$FDoNotDisturb$" softkey.1.use.idle ="1"/>

But I did not get the DND softkey next to my default "New Call" and "Forward" keys. Am I entering this incorrectly in the cfg file, or using the wrong parameters? For the record, I also have set feature.18.name="enhanced-feature-keys" feature.18.enabled="1"

HP Recommended

Hello Chris,

you are mentioning that the Phone is using SIP Software 3.0.1 yet you quote a guide for SIP Software 3.1.

As mentioned before please ensure you are checking your log files and utilize guides provided in this forum in either the FAQ or post's already describing a similar setup.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services 

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

The differences between 3.1 and 3.01, in reference to mapping soft keys, is non-existant. There are also no posts in this forum regarding my issue of re-mapping soft keys on an IP501.

Are there any working examples for re-mapping a softkey?

HP Recommended

Well,

by using the Forum Search I found this post => here <= regarding the remapping of a Soft Key.

I can only stress again to look at the logs to check if the phone is actually even loading the files you are changing and maybe upgrade to SIP 3.1.7.

Check your configuration files if they are actually correctly XML formatted, as a suggestion use XML Notepad.

If you are still unable to get this working you can always contact a Polycom Reseller or Polycom Support who can assist you via paying PPI (Pay per Incident).

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.