Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

As the subject indicates, we're using the Polycom IP550 SIP phones with via Fonality (Australia) as the service provider. We signed up with Fonality, and they happen to supply Polycom phones as standard.

Great phone!  🙂

Is it the phone software (eg. Polycom) or the phone-service-provider (eg. Fonality) that enforces the need to have a line out number before we can dial the number we want?

We select "New Call", and then have to press "9", then we dial the number "XXXXXXXX".

We ask the question, as it doesn't seem sensible, that the phone doesn't do this automatically, seeing as it's a "programmable" device (software based)?  It should know how to dial out with a prefix code set in the software, so we don't have to?

It's annoying as the phone can't be utilised correctly (to it's full benefit), as you get issues like --- you can't simply go to the "Missed Calls" list and re-"Dial" (with the option provided)... because it doesn't store the lead-number ("9") on the incoming Caller ID list... so this means, when it tries to dial out, it doesn't work. Yes, we can "Edit" the number, but that defeats the purpose of smart technology!

Any tips on reprogramming the phone, or other solutions?

Thanks

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Mark,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Phone unable to Dial a number when Off Hook or on 2nd Call in a Conference

ResolutionPlease check => here <=

Above explains how to use the phones built in digit manipulation.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Thanks for the tip on the previous post.

It was helpful in understanding that the power to control the "beast" is there... but, I'm not sure how we would achieve the solution (even from reading through the mapping rules). We don't have full control over the phone system as we're on a "hosted" solution, with limited system level access.

I've looked through the Fonality web interface (for system settings), but can't see any call strings or the like to be able to change (if I could work out the correct sequence to auto-add a "9" in front of our numbers).

I'll keep doing some research with Fonality and see if it's a system change that can be applied to our service (from their side?).

Cheers,

Mark

HP Recommended

Hi Mark,

the change can be made via the phones web interface.

Your service provider should contact Polycom support.

Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Mark,

After running your issue by our support team we've found that unfortunately due to the nature of our Connect and Connect+ (Hosted) products, we cannot alter your dial plan, so dialing “9” to get an outside line will always be necessary.

However, due to a unique property of the polycom phone, you can circumvent this by simply entering the number and sending the call before you get a dial tone (i.e. before picking up the receiver or pressing the speaker button). This will make it so pressing 9 isn't required to get an outside line as it will bypass the internal digitmap of the phone.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.