Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

IP7000 Stuck on Loading sip_401b.ld

SOLVED
BGM
Advisor

Re: IP7000 Stuck on Loading sip_401b.ld

Mr. Baier,

This post is the closest you have come to explaining things clearly.  You have given some useful, full examples here, and some easy-to-follow, direct explanations of things, and have not simply directed me to various FAQ pages (most of which I *have* read, already).

Let me say that I have spent nearly two weeks trying to figure things out using the online documentation.  The Administrator's Guide mostly contains lists of features and changes - only a small portion of it is actually about how to configure your polycom ftp directory. 

What is missing the most, in my opinion, are complete examples. 

I have related that the documentation is difficult - and I'll tell you why I think that.  Firstly, they are not designed like tutorials - where they try to teach somebody how to do something.  Actually, they are FAQ - Facts, basically - a list of notes.  For someone who comes to site for answers, they don't find an easy entry.  For example, take the "substitution strings".  Most people who are going to do anything with configuration files will know at least a tidbit of programming.  Why not just say they are "variables" or "tokens" - or at least explain just what a "substitution string" is?  And then, how do you use one?  I had to figure out on my own that I had to use the literal phrase [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] to represent the macaddress of the actual telephone.  Reading through the file, it did say I had to use the square brackets - which made me wonder if that meant to put [<macaddress>].  After awhile it dawned on me what was happening - my point is, that the docs are more like someone's personal notes to themself.

Another thing that I couldn't understand (and I have read everything!) is PHONE_PART_NUMBER.  From the substitutions explanation, there is no way to know what that means, or what, exactly is swapped for that token?  I still am not sure exactly what is swapped for [PHONE_MODEL].  You know what?  That phrase is to be found nowhere at all in the 4.0.1 Administrator's Guide.  Where would I find a list of each token, and a description and example of what is substituted for them?  The substitutions page gives a list, but doesn't say if there are any more, and doesn't describe them.  Here is an example of the kind of explanation that would have helped me understand what the substitutions were and how they work.  This is just an example of what I mean by easier documentation:

Token
example value        
description
[PHONE_MODEL]
SoundPointIP430
The phone's brand name
[PHONE_PART_NUMBER]
2345-11402-001
polycom model identification number (corresponds to sip.ld)
[MACADDRESS]
0004f21234ab
The phone's actual mac address
[PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]
0004f21234ab
same as above

For the token to work, it must appear exactly as it is written above - in all caps and surrounded with the square brackets.  When the polycom phone reads the configuration file, anywhere it finds that token, it will replace it with value that it reads from the actual phone.  You can add any text you want to before or after the token - only the token will be replaced.  These tokens can be used in the 000000000000.cfg.  Consider this example below.  When the phones look for their sip.ld files, they will look for an .ld file that is named the same as their phone's part number:  [PHONE_PART_NUMBER].sip.ld  - thus, the IP430 will look for this file:  2345-11402-001.sip.id

------------------------------Example 000000000000.cfg------------------------------------------------------------------------ <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <!-- Default Master SIP Configuration File--> <!-- For information on configuring Polycom VoIP phones please refer to the --> <!-- Configuration File Management white paper available from: --> <!-- http://www.polycom.com/common/documents/whitepapers/configuration_file_management_on_soundpoint_ip_p... --> <!-- $RCSfile$ $Revision: 126421 $ --> <APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="[PHONE_PART_NUMBER].sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="[PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="" LICENSE_DIRECTORY="" USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY=""> <APPLICATION_SPIP430 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP430="[PHONE_PART_NUMBER].sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP430="sip_326.cfg, [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg"/> <APPLICATION_SPIP600 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP600="[PHONE_PART_NUMBER].sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP600="sip_318.cfg, [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg"/> <APPLICATION_SPIP601 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP601="[PHONE_PART_NUMBER].sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP601="sip_318.cfg, [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-extension.cfg"/> </APPLICATION>

Mr. Baier, it is obvious to me that you want to help folks (after all, you did make every attempt to help me!), and it is also obvious that you know how all of this works - and at a most expert level, too.  It would help alot if you would try to understand how to explain things to the person listening.  Some folks need to understand it one way, some another.  The same way is not easy for everyone.  That is why people go to forums - to ask questions so people can help them the way they need help. I know you have become frustrated with me because it seems like I don't listen - but on the contrary, I find it difficult to get you to explain something that you take for granted. 

Anyway, I hope you take me the right way here.  I am going to mark this thread solved.

Thank you for all of your help; I hope you haven't written me off for the future!

-BGM

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 19
SteffenBaierUK
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello,

I will provide our technical documentation team with your suggestions but the guides have been out for multiple years and I personally have not had any complaints regarding their complexity.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. All posts and words are my own & do not represent the views of Employer.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 12 of 19
BGM
Advisor

Mr. Baier - I am writing a little guide for our IT department on how to set a Polycom phone system.  Are you interested to see it?  It is more of a tutorial than a FAQ, and could be helpful for folks.  I have been able to bring all 5 models of our Polycom phones online with the latest (or last) firmware available to them.  They all load their configuration files now, and everything seems to be in good order.  Anyway, if you are interested in my guide, let me know.

Message 13 of 19
doubleloop
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I know this is a few years old. But I would be interested in obtaining a copy of your guide if they are still available.

Regards,

Message 14 of 19
SteffenBaierUK

Hello @doubleloop ,

welcome to the Poly Community.

Both the communities Must Read First and the FAQ reference the basic minimum information a new or follow up post should contain.

This ensures the questions having to be asked are limited and any new or follow up post contains the right amount of details to ensure any voluntary participant within the community does not spend additional time chasing basic information.

As a reminder the basic information asked for:

• Provide the exact Software Version of your Phone
  • Provide the Phone Model
  • Provide the Call Platform (aka openSIP,Teams, Skype for Business Online, Skype for Business on Premise, Lync)
  • Additional Poly Infrastructure (RPRM,PDMS or BToE)
  • If applicable provide a backup of the phone in question

UC Software 4.0.0 or later via the Web Interface Utilities > Phone Backup & Restore > Phone Backup > Phone Backup. Please rename into .TXT or Zip the file to attach.
Since UC Software 5.9.0 simply provide this via the Web Interface Diagnostics > Download Support Information Package

• If possible provide a Log and either attach them or use the Code Tag.Consult the Troubleshooting Section found within the FAQ if applicable
  • If possible provide the MAC Address or Serial of the device
  • Provide details for example if the issue is a day 1 issue or only happened after an upgrade or any other relevant details
  • For questions around Support please check here

Whilst providing some of these details may not directly impact any possible answer the community can provide, it does enable Poly to have an overview of the current software used. In addition, providing all details at the same time allow us to check logs or look up potential support partners if an issue needs to come into support. It also enables us to verify the entitlement for using features.

Please ensure you always check the FAQ's and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up posts.

Jun 08, 2017 Question: Is there a special process that needs to be followed upgrading an SoundStation IP6000 or IP7000?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. All posts and words are my own & do not represent the views of Employer.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 15 of 19
doubleloop
Occasional Visitor

just responded to your message, but just in case, my email address is julio.li@one.verizon.com. No rush, just send the info at your convenience.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 19
BGM
Advisor

doubleloop - you really shouldn't post your email address in a public forum...  The spambots pick it up and run with it.

Message 17 of 19
SteffenBaierUK

Hello @BGM ,

Could you kindly share your guide for others?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------

----------------

Message 18 of 19
BGM
Advisor

Mr. Baier,  my "guide" is really just notes at this point.  When I proposed the guide some years ago, I didn't receive any answer, so I never made anything formal and now I only use it for personal reference now, and only rarely these days since I switched to FreePBX with it's Endpoint Manager that does most of the config work for me now.

I am willing to share my "notes", but only privately - if someone is interested they can PM me. 

Message 19 of 19