Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I want to upgrade IP7000 from version:

Bootrom:         4.5.0

Application:     3.3.2.0413

To version:

Updater :         5.0.8

Application:     4.0.9.0509

Following the documentation I provided the following files from the upgrader package on the FTP:

• 3111-40000-001.bootrom.ld
  • sip.ld

In addition I immediately put the lastest updater file there

• 3111-40000-001.updater.ld

The IP7000 gets stuck in a loop. It is permanently doing the following:

• Downloading the 3111-40000-001.bootrom.ld file
  • Saving new bootrom
  • Formating Filesystem
  • Reboot
  • Downloading the 3111-40000-001.bootrom.ld file

After the 20th loop, the IP7000 is suddenly downloading the updater.ld file (21 reboot).

After the next reboot (reboot 22) the sip.ld file is loaded and the upgrade process is finished.

The question is why the device needed 20 loops to download/accept the bootrom. After every reboot the boot.log file was captured (see attachements). Within this log file no problem could be found. In every file it looks like the download is successful and the image signature is found ok.

Can somebody please help and tell me what's wrong with this upgrade procedure?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Heiko,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

According to the 0004f2edfed4-app.log the Phone is already on the right software:

000008.945|so   |*|03|Platform: Updater=5.0.8.0935 14-Jan-15 19:55
000008.945|so   |*|03|Application, main: Label=SIP, Version=Mink 4.0.9.0509 28-May-15 13:13

The 0004f2edfed4-boot - Loop1.log  also shows:

00030.918|cfg  |3|00|Image is already up to date

Simply remove the updater and bootrom files.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Steffen,

first of all thanks for your reply.

After every boot loop, I only saved the boot.log file. I did not save the app.log file.

So what you can see in the app.log file I provided has been written by the device after the last successful loop. This is probably not helpful.

The entry you mentioned from 0004f2edfed4-boot - Loop1.log is probably also some older message, as you can see that there is a new line  --------- Initial log entry ---------- after that. I assume this entry you refer to is from the previous downgrade of the device (which is always working without problems) and the messages after the following ----Initial log entry------ is the start of the next upgrade attempt.

So still there is the question what causes the device to do 20 loops always downloading the boot.rom, saving the bootrom file, formating the Filesystem and then starting from beginning and all of a sudden (without changing anything on the files on the FTP server) it is working?

BTW: It is not always 20 loops. I made upgrade attempts were I had only 10 loop, or even more than 20.

Again your help is very much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello Heiko,

I can only assume you have manipulated some files or something and this is causing the loop you are seeing.

When the Phone reboot's press Cancel, then Setup, Enter the Password, scroll down to the bottom of the menu,  the Phone and then select Reset to Defaults, choose Reset Settings via select.

Now download the following (step 1):

When the phone reboots again, press cancel, then Setup, Enter the Password, Provisioning server and change teh details so it points to the FTP user you created that can access the "new" directory where only these files are in.

After the phone is finished upgrading download (step 2):

Unzip this into the same directory as the files before and reboot the phone.

If the above fails go back to step 1 and delete all the content from the new Directory and download this instead

Download the above and unzip into the "new" directory and unzip the 4.4.0 Upgrader an unzip the 4.0.1 combined Software into this directory

reboot the phone and let it upgrade to UC Software 4.0.1 first

Then delete everything in this directory and:

• Unzip the 4.0.9 combined Software into this directory
    • Unzip the 5.0.8 updater into this directory

Reboot the phone and it should upgrade to 4.0.9 and Updater 5.0.8

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Steffen,

I still do not have success with this topic.

Your idea "When the Phone reboot's press Cancel, then Setup, Enter the Password, scroll down to the bottom of the menu,  the Phone and then select Reset to Defaults, choose Reset Settings via select." seems not to be available in UCS version 3.2.x (or maybe it depends on the bootrom version). I don't have this menu item on the phone which is running the old software. I can find it on an upgraded Phone with UCS version 4.0.9, but this does not help me.

The software I am using is the same you provided with the attached links. I made a md5 check and it is the same.

The idea to provide UCS software 4.0.1 first also does not help, cause the loop is always with the bootrom and the UCS software is not loaded yet at this step.

Isn't there a way to get more information from the phone what is going wrong? Is there a way to increase the debug level?

What whould I do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.