Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am seeing an issue on VVX phones, specifically 500/600, when a DHCP Option 43 offer intended for the MS-UC-Client vendor class is sent by the DHCP server even when not requested. The issue is that an invalid subnet mask, gateway and time offset info is configured on the Polycom phone.

During the phone bootup I can see the following in a Wireshark trace:

1. VVX models send a request for option 43 during bootup, advertising its own vendor class ID in Option 60 (i.e. Polycom-VVX600)
  2. With the device in the Lync profile mode and when PIN auth is attempted to Lync, another Option 43 Request/Inform is sent from the device with the typical MS-UC-Client ID in option 60 to obtain Lync specific values.

This particular client’s DHCP server (QIP in this case) is sending the Option 43 for MS-UC-Client in every standard DHCP Offer, regardless of the vendor class in Option 60. This is different than what I have seen with a Microsoft DHCP or Linux-based server in that only Option 43 is sent in the Offer response if it matches what the client/device asked for. Per RFC 2132 the DHCP server SHOULD respond with the vendor class requested but it doesn’t seem this is a requirement. We are going back to the DHCP vendor to review the behavior but I’m posting this note here because only the Polycom phones have an issue with getting this “non-requested” Option 43 info.

Other vendor devices and even the Windows client appear to just discard the info since it was not requested. The Polycom phones receive this info and the result is an invalid IP configuration. Most DHCP options such as DNS, NTP and other info is correct but the mask becomes a value such as 77.83.x.x, the gateway is 108.121.x.x and the GMT offset is a very long value. As such the phones are not communicating on the network. A static IP resolves the issues but obviously that is not the course we want to go down.

I can also reproduce this by using a Microsoft DHCP server to push the standard Lync Option 43 sub-options for MS-UC-Client to the VVX phones by changing the vendor class ID to Polycom-VVX600 (for example).  While it could be argued that the DHCP server is at fault here other vendor devices are ok. We may not be able to get a fix for this from the DHCP vendor so would be looking to Polycom on why the phone is configuring itself in this way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello kwall,

please upgrade to a currently supported software version.

UCS 5.2.0 for example

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello kwall,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used software version as issues experienced may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes.

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP UC Software Version or the BootROM Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen, good point.  The current version info is below:

Part Number 3111-44600-001 Rev:A 
UC Software Version 4.1.2.26872 
BootROM Software Version 5.1.2.1133

HP Recommended

Hello kwall,

please upgrade to a currently supported software version.

UCS 5.2.0 for example

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen.  If I had known it would be that easy I would have done that earlier!  I misread the different version numbers and thought we had a much more updated UCS package than we really did.  I applied the 5.2.0 package via the provisioning server and that resolved the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.