Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi to everyone,

We have just purchased two Polycom VVX-600 desksets for testing and like to use these in our multi-location setup.  We currecntly use Voip.ms as provider.  I know the phone is overkill for what we need currently, but not later on when we start the buildon of extended functionality.  If we have to learn a new system, then why not learn one that is more future proof? Current capabilities needed are:

1. Full call transfers, even to remote office and back,

2. IVR,

3. Music on hold,

4. Audio-conferencing,

5. Voice mail,

Future capabilities will include video and interfacing with a database such as sql server...

My questions concerning current needs are:

1.  Can our current needs be met with only the vvx-600s phones and Voip.ms?  (without a pbx of some sort) 

2.  What functionality would a pbx add to the install that isn't already there? 

3.  Are there any better IVRs that Voip.ms has?  (I've never used any IVRs before)

4.  It is enough to put IP numbers in SIP on the device via the provisioning server?  (I did get this to work, but really seems clunky because of all the manual editing of the xml files, with no realtime validations of the syntax and operability of the manual entries)

5.  What all is needed to pull this off?  
6.  Any step-by-step instructions to do this?

7. Do we have to be an engineer, (or hire expensive support personel) to utilize and support this technology?  (we do have IT people on staff)

To summarize, do I have to purchase more equipment and/or services other than the 10 needed vvx-600 phones and Voip.ms to get pbx style functionality between local and remote offices.  What other equipment is needed?

Any pointers and/or suggestions are most welcomed!

Thanks,

Stanley

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Stanley,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Most of the asked features depend completely on the Service Provider you are using.

Our VVX500 and VVX600 phones support industry standard SIP or H.323 Video Calls once a VVX camera is installed.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I register or is my Polycom Phone compatible with a “XYZ” SIP Server?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above shows in simple steps how to setup a phone with SIP credentials.

The working configuration can be exported, modified for the other phone and then imported on the other phone.

Not sure where the SQL server comes into all of this but third party solutions for any interaction like CTI or a API would be required.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen,

The FAQ help really doesn't answer much.  According to its UI, the example cannot and will not work, because the example attempts to use a 3rd part ??? and when doing so the UI responds that the type must be shared and the example shows it as private.  Where is the documentation that discusses this and HOW to use?  Would 3rd party options be needed in the scenerio I described?  

All the docs and articles I read so far has convinced me that it can do anything and everything.  But to implement, I'll need massive amounts of training and money to pay for the training...  or pay $125-175 per hour to outside support personel.  

I, myself am a programmer and have a reseller account with Voip.ms and therefore not afraid to do the xml script file setups, however I see no clear cut ways of implementing this.  I would like to start pushing this voip business, and was hoping to add these more advanced phone systems to our product offerings, but is this even possible without spending tens of thousands of dollars just to be able to support them?

Doesn't Polycom produce any deployment senerio guides that illistrates functionality of  x, y, and z, in terms of the endpoints needed, middleware needed (pbx), service provide requirements, and detailed deployment guides made to build out the deployment senerio?

Really, I need honest answers before wasting lots of time on this.

Thanks,

Stanley

HP Recommended

Hello Stanley,

I am not sure I fully understand you.

My Polycom provided VoIP FAQ post "Can I register or is my Polycom Phone compatible with a “XYZ” SIP Server" has been looked at more than 17.000 times and you are the first person to state that it does not help.

It clearly shows a simple private SIP registration which will work. If you are using shared lines all that is required is to use the shared line option in the Web Interface.

Please also look at:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Do I always need a Provisioning Server or can I configure a Phone via the Web Interface or via the Phone Gui?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

and 

Mar 08, 2013 Question: Where can I download configuration files from or create these myself?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

and

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

We do provide the UC Admin Guide matching your yet unknown software which explains in detail on 460 pages what Parameters you can use and other details.

In addition, apart from the VoIP FAQ , our support page holds the Engineering Advisories and Technical Notifications => here <= with more individual documents.

For LYNC setups as an example we have a partner in https://www.eventzero.com/Provisioning/ProvisioningPolycom/

I suggest you provide me via a forum email your contact details and the geographical area you are in and I get one of our sales engineers to get in touch with you.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I was able to get a Soundpoint 335 to register with Voip.ms but I can not make the vvx500 registr.  My plan was to use multiple 500's for a hosted service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.