Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Some VOIP devices that are being addressed via DHCP but are failing to register a name with the DHCP servers.  In other words, when the DHCP grants a lease for an IP address the DNS name field is blank. 

I have boot.log file.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

SoundPoint IP 331

SIP Software Version 3.3.1.0933

BootROM Software Version 4.3.0.0246

HP Recommended

Hello Budrys,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used SIP or UC Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.

Please also include if you are using a SIP server or a LYNC / Skype for Business server.

Also please explain what type of Polycom Phones you are talking about.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Read First"

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP or UC Software Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

I suggest you provide some more detail on your issue and include any logs or wireshark traces.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Budrys,

thanks for providing at least some basic information.

The Phone is not running a currently supported Version. The latest and only supported version is UC Software 4.0.11 or 4.0.10

If you need to stay on 3.3.x then at least upgrade to 3.3.5

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Do we need to change something in our configuration to upgrade our phones?

HP Recommended

Hello Budrys,

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure you always check the community FAQ and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up post’s.

So far you still have not provided a detailed information what your actual problem is.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

My issue is that all my VOIP devices that are being addressed via DHCP but are failing to register a name with the DHCP servers.  In other words, when the DHCP grants a lease for an IP address the DNS name field is blank. 

I have boot.log file.

HP Recommended

Hello Budrys,

Again the community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Aug 24, 2015 Question:What basic network data is send and received by a Polycom phone?

Resolution: Please check this post => here <=

The above explains in detail what kind of network date is send or received and usually DHCP Option 12 is utilized to provide the Hostname to the DHCP Server.

You keep telling us that you have the bootlog but this does still not answer your original comment and repeated comment in regards of a DNS name.

Could you please do the following:

• Upgrade the phone to a currently supported version
  • Specify in detail what you exact issue is and quote the relevant RFC we are violating
  • Specify what DHCP server you are using
  • Show us a working DHCP lease from another device which does not show the issue you trying to tell us about via a Wireshark
  • Show us a non working DHCP lease from the Polycom device which does show the issue you trying to tell us about via a Wireshark

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

OK.

How can I take data from my Polycom using Wireshark?

HP Recommended

Hello Budrys,

you need a spanned / mirrored port for this. These kind of actions are industry standards so please work with your IT Team.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.