Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi

Phone 1 Model VVX 410, Part Number 3111-46162-001 Rev:A, IP Mode IPv4, IP Address 192.168.x.x4, UC Software Version 5.9.6.2996, Updater Version 5.9.7.42880

Phone 2 Model SoundPoint IP 335, Part Number 2345-12375-001 Rev:A, IP Address 192.168.x.x3, UC Software Version 4.0.15.1009, BootROM Software Version 5.0.15.0741

Server: Asterisk 13.28.1

Phones have 2 lines defined.

External calls are routed to a ring group that includes all SIP phones (hard and soft). Only Line 1 on the Polycom hardphones is in the ring group.

Problem: Lifting handset not picking up incoming external cal. I get a dialling tone. Pressing Line 1 has no effect. All phones keep ringing.

What does work:

- on hook and pressing Answer - takes call and goes to handsfree

- on hook and pressing Line 1 - takes call and goes to handsfree

- lifting receiver on internal call (Line 1 or Line 2) - takes call (no need to press Line x)

I saw this post about the opposite issue (where the user did not want the phone to automatically pickup) so I added the OPPOSITE solution, i.e.:

<polycom up.offHookAction.none="0" />

to my local-settings.cfg (see below). There are no errors re the above setting in the logs but there other warnings so I've attached the log

I also tried:

<up up.offHookAction.none="0" />

I also tried removing Line 2 but it made no difference.

I also changed Asterisk to send internal calls to the VVX410 Line 1 directly but it made no difference.

Thanks for reading

Alan

local-settings file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<localcfg>
<dir dir.search.field="1" />
<dir dir.local.readonly="1" />
<dialplan dialplan.digitmap="*xx|1[0-1]x|1471|[5-6]xx|[0-4]xxxxx.T|[7-9]xxxxx.T|9xx"/>
<ml lcl.datetime.time.24HourClock="1" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.enable="1" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.startHour.Monday="10" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.startHour.Tuesday="10" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.startHour.Wednesday="10" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.startHour.Thursday="10" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.startHour.Friday="10" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.startHour.Saturday="10" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.startHour.Sunday="10" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.duration.Monday="12" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.duration.Tuesday="12" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.duration.Wednesday="12" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.duration.Thursday="12" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.duration.Friday="12" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.duration.Saturday="12" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.officeHours.duration.Sunday="12" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.idleTimeout.officeHours="600" />
<powerSaving powerSaving.idleTimeout.offHours="1" />
<pres pres.idleTimeout.officeHours.enabled="0" />
<pres pres.idleTimeout.offHours.enabled="0" />
<volume voice.volume.persist.handset="1" />
<np np.normal.ringing.toneVolume.chassis="1000" />
<polycom up.offHookAction.none="0" />
</localcfg>
<change device.set="1"
device.dhcp.enable.set="1"
device.dhcp.enable="1"
device.dns.serverAddress.set="1"
device.dns.serverAddress="9.9.9.9"
device.dns.altSrvAddress.set="1"
device.dns.altSrvAddress="149.112.112.112"
device.sntp.serverName.set="1"
device.sntp.serverName="europe.pool.ntp.org"
device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="1"
device.auth.localAdminPassword="XXX"
/>
<WEB_CONFIG>
<OVERRIDES
tcpIpApp.sntp.address.overrideDHCP="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.address="europe.pool.ntp.org"
tcpIpApp.sntp.gmtOffset="0"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.start.month="3"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.start.dayOfWeek.lastInMonth="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.stop.month="10"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.stop.dayOfWeek.lastInMonth="1"
/>
</WEB_CONFIG>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Alan_UK ,

Just to add it could be as simple as this:

Jul 07, 2015 Question:Unable to answer an incoming call via the Handset if silent ringer is selected?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

As we do not know your directory file structure we can only guess.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Alan_UK ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

A single configuration file out of your multiple files does not really tell us anything. We would need a backup as described in the FAQ to see what the phones have stored.

Does this affect both the VVX and the SPIP?

Whilst you at it maybe a log too:

Jan 19, 2012 Question: How to troubleshoot Polycom VoIP related Issues?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen , it was very good of you to reply so quickly at the weekend. I wasn't expecting that!

Does this affect both the VVX and the SPIP?

Yes it does.

I didn't want to inundate you with lots of logs etc. in case it was a simple config setting on my part.  I will give another reply with the logs and config files.

Many thanks

Alan

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen

First can I ask please that the attached zip file is deleted once you have downloaded. Many thanks.

I have spent much of the day digging into this and installing wireshark etc. In the process I believe I have stumbled across the root cause!

I installed Wireshark on a Win7 PC and installed tcpdump on the Asterisk server (Rasp Pi Jessie/Debian)

I ran tcpdump, called from my mobile and when the extensions rang I could not grab the call by lifting the receiver. I uploaded to the PC and looked at the log with Wireshark. Seeing my personal telephone numbers I looked to hide these. Editing with Visual Code made the file unreadable by Wireshark.

So in my Asterisk script I changed the callers name & no. to Test & 01234567890. I then ran the script again and this time the phones worked - i.e. lifting the receiver connects the call!

I then suspected the issue was that the my mobile number was matched to my entry in the 000000000000.directory file.

So in the 000000000000.directory file I added the test no. 01234567890 and then restarted and then rebooted the phones. The VVX410 accepted the revised 000000000000.directory file. but the IP335 would not. I tried multiple times with a small change to the file. Sometimes I could see in the log that downloading 000000000000.directory failed. Other times nothing was in the log. Eventually I copied the 000000000000.directory file as <IP335 mac addr>.directory and it uploaded.

Debugging and logging:

• On VVX410 phone changed log file size from 32 to 1000
  • On IP335 &VVX410 phones changed Logging/Module Log Level Limits for SIP to Debug
  • On IP335 &VVX410 phones changed Global Log Level Limit to Debug

Started tcpdump -i eth0 -p -n -s 0 -w /var/lib/asterisk/polycom/logs/asterisk.pcap

• Called from mobile
  • Lifted handset on VVX4410 - get dialing tone
  • Lifted handset on IP335 - get dialing tone
  • Pressed Answer on VVX4410 - can speak and hear.

Stopped tcpdump

Copied files to subfolder MyConfig:

• Export of configuration ex device settings for both phones <model>-config-Export_all.cfg
  • Export of device settings for both phones <model>-Export_device_settings.cfg
  • Copy of xxxxx-sip.cfg, xxxxx-reg.cfg, <mac>-phone.cfg, <mac>-web.cfg, <mac>.cfg for both phones
  • Copy of local-settings.cfg, features.cfg,

Copied files to subfolder Fail:

• tcpdump as asterisk-fail.pcap
  • Export of logfile for both phones as <model>-app-logfile-fail.txt & <model>-boot-logfile-fail.txt

Changed Asterisk false caller number to 01234567899

Started tcpdump -i eth0 -p -n -s 0 -w /var/lib/asterisk/polycom/logs/asterisk.pcap

• Called from mobile
  • Lifted handset on VVX4410 - can speak & talk

Stopped tcpdump

Copied files to subfolder OK:

• tcpdump as asterisk-OK.pcap
  • Export of logfile for both phones as <model>-app-logfile-OK.txt

Attached zip file of above

I hope this is sufficient to find the problem.

Please remove zip file as it still has my telephone nos. in it!

Alan

HP Recommended

Hello @Alan_UK ,

Just a quick reminder of what the community is:

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

Therefore if you are seeing an issue we would ask you to raise a ticket as described below:

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support. Available End User Poly services offerings are detailed here

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

I have removed your sensitive data but the community is not a replacement for our official support structure.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hello @Alan_UK ,

Just to add it could be as simple as this:

Jul 07, 2015 Question:Unable to answer an incoming call via the Handset if silent ringer is selected?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

As we do not know your directory file structure we can only guess.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Thank you Steffen for the link to Quick Tip 36787. It's a helpful post as the symptoms for "silent ring" are as my situation.

Further investigation shows I had set some numbers in the phone's directory to ringtype = 1 and some to = 2 simply to differentiate them and with an erroneous assumption that 1 is the default. 

I now now realise that ringtype = 1 is Silent Ringing and not a ringing tone and that the normal default is ring type = 2.

Changing the ring type from 1 to 2 now fixes the situation 🙂

I think it is a bit illogical to have a ring tone setting that actually changes the phones behaviour (picking up a call or not) rather than simply making a particular sound or no sound. But hey, that's the way it is and I'm sure others will be caught out!

I will also factory reset the phone so it once again loads the 000000000000-directory.xml file. I really think the software should be changed to always load 000000000000-directory.xml  if there is no <mac address>-directory.xml file.

Thanks for helping to resolve this situation. I've marked it solved and given kudos.

Alan

HP Recommended

Hello @Alan_UK 

this has been this way well before I joined Polycom 14 years ago so not sure we need to start changing this now.

In regards to the directory, apart from the admin guide, check:

Jan 6, 2012 Question: How can I create a local contact directory/phonebook or what is the 000000000000-directory.xml used for?

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The "old" UC Software 4.0.x will not receive any new updates or changes in behaviour so any new development is for VVX or now CCX only.

The way we treat the directory has changed so check the above.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

re

Jan 6, 2012 Question: How can I create a local contact directory/phonebook or what is the 000000000000-directory.xml used for?

Yes I did use that to create my 000000000000-directory.xml  but as was not fussed about what the ring tones were, just that I had 2 different ring tones, I did not follow the link.

I suggest that the document could be enhanced to say:

<rt>Ring Tone1 to 21

When incoming calls match a directory entry, this field specifies the ringtone to be used.

Note: Ring Tone 1 is Silent (no ring tone) and changes the way the phone handles incoming calls. See Quick Tip 36787

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.