Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Salvete!  We use our ftp directory for provisioning a mix of phones - ip430, ip601, ip650, ip5000 and ip7000. 

I have downloaded the lastest possible bootROMs and upgraders for each model to place in that directory.

I am thinking to use the

2345-11402-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.2.3
2345-11600-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.1.4
2345-12600-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1
3111-30900-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1
3111-40000-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1
bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1

However, each upgrader package comes with a file called bootrom.ld.  Can I use that file from the latest package,or do I need to use the one from the package that came with the other versions?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

BGM,

I am just replying by basically copy & pasting the relevant sections from the UCS 4.0.1 Admin Guide:

Supporting Legacy Phones
With enhancements available since BootROM 4.0.0 and SIP 2.1.2, you can modify the 000000000000.cfg or <MACaddress>.cfg configuration file to direct phones to load the software image and configuration files based on the phone model number.

The SPIP601 can run a BootRom higher than 4.0.0 so above is applicable to it

The SPIP430 can run a BootRom higher than 4.0.0 so above is applicable to it

The SPIP650, SSIP5000 and SSIP7000 can all run the UCS Software and therefore use the Updater / Upgrader process.

If you simply download the BootROM Files with their Phone Part Number and dump them in the directory. If you have phones that cannot run BootROM 4.0.0 or newer dump the latest bootrom.ld file there (i.e. SPIP300 etc).

As you have not got this in your setup you will not need the bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1

The last post's you made claimed you run UCS 4.0.x, so the BootROM is no longer called BootROM and you must use the relevant files from the Updater/Upgrader downloads.

Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Mr. Baier,

I have my legacy phones set to use their correct sip configs via the 0000.cfg - no problem, but I've still got about 20 ip430's on the network running sip 1.7! (I just learned about all this bootrom stuff a few weeks ago).  So I have to upgrade their bootroms so they will take the new sip configurations.  - which is why I went to the 4.3.1 package (today - I just read about it this morning in other posts and faq's on the forum) - because I saw the 4.3.1 package would do well for the ip7000.

Right now, I am creating a new provisioning server and trying to fit it out with updated firmware.  Then I can move the phones over one by one to use the new server.  So far, I have fitted out two legacy phones on the new server.  Then, I have the newer phones that are still in the box.

I, too, have read that my ip430, and ip601 will take a bootrom higher than 4.0 - but when I download the spip_ssip_BootROM_4_3_1_release_sig.zip, there is no 2345-11402-001.bootrom.ld  or 2345-11600-001.bootrom.ld file in that package - but it *does* have the bootrom.ld.

Yes, I know they are termed "upgrader" in the newer releases, but the actual files are still named "bootrom".

I guess I am just a bit confused as to the function of the "bootrom.ld" file that comes with each package.

HP Recommended

Hello BGM,

if you look at the filesize of the single bootrom.ld and the individual Model_Number bootrom.ld and add these up you will see that the bootrom.ld is just a combined version.

If you are running a mix of phone you will obviously need to pay attention to what bootroms you add.

If all Phones can run the same bootRom you just stick the bootrom.ld matching the SIP / UCS into the directory.

If older Phones like the SPIP300 are being used the bootrom.ld that comes with the compatible BootROM download for the SIPI300 must be used and all other phones would run their individual Model_Number bootrom.ld Bmatching the SIP or in case of UCS upgrader/updater variant still individual Model_Number bootrom.ld  to be backwards compatible.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Mr. Baier,  Thanks again!  I have read and reread all of your posts.

My goal is to have each of my 5 models of phones running the last possible versions of their sip.ld and their bootrom.ld's.  To do this, I am using my 000.cfg to point my legacy phones to their sip.ld files and their bootrom.ld files.

I suppose I am right to think that the newer phones automatically load a bootrom file with their own model number (as it is given in the zip packages)? 

When you say, "combined version" - that just means it is a combination of the other files in that package, and not from the older packages?  If that is the case, then, spip_ssip_BootROM_4_3_1_release_sig.zip does not include a bootrom image for 2345-11402-001.bootrom.ld, and so is not compatible with an ip430, even if the bootrom itself could be compatible with sip_326, which is the last possible sip software compatible with an ip430.

I read that the older phones CAN use a newer bootrom, but newer zip packages do not include a bootrom image for the older phones, and I've no reason to think the combined image does either.

Can you see my confusion on that point?

Still, if I put the (last usabel for that model) <model_number>.bootrom.id files in my directory (info I get from the sip software guide that matches the sip software - which version I know from the matrix), and there is one for each model of phone, that means I don't need the "bootrom.ld" file at all, right? 

That means, as long as I put the last useable bootrom for each model of phone in the ftp directory, then all of that model of phone will be upgraded?

For the IP7000, I put the 5.0.2 updater (3111-40000-001.updater.ld) in my ftp directory, together with the 4.3 upgrader (3111-40000-001.bootrom.ld) and it will update and be able to load the uc 4.0.2b software (3111-40000-001.sip.ld).  I think I finally got this one!

Also, by the way, I noticed there are no release notes for the 4.4.0 upgrader.

I really like understanding things!

HP Recommended

Hello BGM,

I am really struggling with your replies.

Please bear in mind that yet again this seems to end up in a "free" support session and you are just not following what has been documented for years and has been successfully implemented by thousands of people around the world.

I understand that you are doing this for a non profit organization but maybe it is time to ask for professional help as this is beginning to be a free training course for our technology.

My last and final answer and please forget about the "automatically" loading part!

A phone will always be only able to load what was relevant when they were introduced into the market.

An old SPIP300 does not know anything about a part-Number-bootrom.ld and therefore will always need to load a bootrom.ld.

A Phone that can at least run BootROM 4.0.0 does know about the part-Number-bootrom.ld and therefore will be able to load a part-Number-bootrom.ld or a bootrom.ld as long as it is the supported version that it can run.

Each phone should always run their latest Version of the BootROM and the Upgrader / Updater is requiered to run anything like UCS 4.0.0 or newer.

A SPIP330 will only be able to load this very specific bootrom.ld if it is compatible with the version it is attempting to load. A SPIP330 will not be able to load the bootrom.ld that comes with for example the BootROM 4.3.0 download.

The BootROM 4.3.0 download does contain a bootrom.ld which is a combination of all the single part-Number-bootrom.ld added together. It is not compatible with a SPIP601 as this can only run a BootROM of 4.1.4. 

I really hope above explains things and if not can only recommend if the issue is still not understandable that another community member feels obliged to help you further.

If this is not the case I had explained in the past what further methods of support are available to yourself.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Is it possible, Mr. Baier, to be able to speak to you, even if I have to pay for it?

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am based in the UK and do work in Tier 3 Escalations and therefore usually do not work any longer with End Customers directly.

Our Call centre staff or our Tier 2 support team in your region should be more than capable to help you but usual support does not go into the extend we have been discussing here.

There are plenty of companies out there offering professional services with our Products.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

BMG,

Sorry to come to this late.

in reply to:

@BGM wrote:

Salvete!  We use our ftp directory for provisioning a mix of phones - ip430, ip601, ip650, ip5000 and ip7000. 

I have downloaded the lastest possible bootROMs and upgraders for each model to place in that directory.

I am thinking to use the

2345-11402-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.2.3
2345-11600-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.1.4
2345-12600-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1
3111-30900-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1
3111-40000-001.bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1
bootrom.ld - from package 4.3.1

However, each upgrader package comes with a file called bootrom.ld.  Can I use that file from the latest package,or do I need to use the one from the package that came with the other versions?

If you're using BootROM 4.x or older and UCS 3.3 or older with the configuration you describe, you can use the "bootrom.ld" file from the most recent BootROM package. The phones look for the "<part number>.bootrom.ld" file first. If one isn't available, then they look for the "bootrom.ld" file. So your current phones will pick up the "<part number>.bootrom.ld" file and use that, and any models of phones you haven't added the "<part number>.bootrom.ld" file for will use the "bootrom.ld" file instead.

Please note that with UCS 4.0 this setup will no longer be necessary (Except, possibly with the IP6000 & IP7000 phones, I'm not sure off the top of my head) Also, this won't work with the IP300 and IP500 phones, but they are long since unsupported 🙂

Mike

(Any advice given above is given in my spare moments and off the top of my head. Please treat it accordingly.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.