Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Network Link is Down (SoundPoint IP 501)

Highlighted
Visitor

Network Link is Down (SoundPoint IP 501)

I have a SoundPoint IP 501. It powers up OK, but cannot get an IP from the DHCP server. If I manually enter the IP settings, it boots but shows "Network link is down".

I plugged a laptop with Ethernet cable into the PC port of the phone, and the laptop doesn't get an IP either. However, if I plug the laptop directly into the LAN port that the phone is in, the laptop then does get an IP.

The copper pins in the LAN socket all "look" ok (all the same height, none unusually bent etc).

Is this more than likely to be a hardware failure?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Network Link is Down (SoundPoint IP 501)

Hello roybridge,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Not knowing the history of this phone, i.e. was working before or has just been purchased second hand, I would assume it is faulty.

An easy test usually is to plug it into a switch and see if the activity lights come on in order to check the physical connectivity.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. My official "day" Job is 3rd Level support at Poly but I am unable to provide official support via the community.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Visitor

The phone was purchased second hand to use as a standalone SIP phone. If I plug the phone into a switch, I DO get an activity light.

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello roybridge,

I can only assume that you are using a standard Ethernet cable and a separate power supply or the original Polycom Ethernet cable with the possibility to plug in a Power supply either using this supply or a PoE switch ?

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. My official "day" Job is 3rd Level support at Poly but I am unable to provide official support via the community.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Visitor

Hi Steffan,

I am using the original Polycom Ethernet cable with a power supply plugged into it. I don't have a PoE switch.

Best Regards,

Chris

Message 5 of 5