Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Last week we bought an 8800 Trio but whatever iPhone I tried to connect - it was not recognized as a headphone device. On iphone I get the message similar like:

"this accessory may be not supported"

on the 8800 I often got "overvoltage detected!"

So I upgraded firmware from 5.4.3.2400 to 5.7.1.4133 - the overvoltage is gone now but nobody can use his iPhone with USB (Bluetooth is working well and USB to a PC or Mac, too).

Basic info:

Trio 8800

3111-65290-001

Rev:A MAC-Adresse 64:16:7F:1E:72:0C

WLAN-MAC-Adresse 64:16:7F:1E:72:0D

Bluetooth-MAC-Adresse 64:16:7F:1E:72:0E

I switched to skype- and generic-mode - nothing bettered.

Charging over USB enabled / disabled - nothing bettered.

Should I send it back or is there any hope?

And in addition:

The LAN-communication is very strange. Even connected to the same switch (with 13W PoE) it does not pull a DHCP address. If I do set IP manually I rarely can even ping it. Theres is only one really old PC in the company with Windows Server 2003 who can mostly reach the ethernet-IP of the 8800. Via WLAN there is no such problem.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @F.One,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The Trio you purchased last week was sold by Polycom via WESTCON GROUP EUROPEAN OPERATIONS LTD in 28/04/2017.

You can only pair Phones to the Trio via Bluetooth.

The Trio is neither advertised nor supported to use any smartphone via USB as an Audio Device.

USB Headset support is only a Sandbox feature as explained => here <=

The Voltage warning is a normal message as when the Trio is not powered via PoE+

I suggest you contact your Polycom reseller to get some basic information what you can do with the Trio and what not as they can explain this.

For any Networking related issues the above would be responsible as well.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Dear @steffenBaierUK

Thank you for your reply but to be honest:
These answers from a Polycom employee are quite disappointing, really.

Your statement  "You can only pair Phones to the Trio via Bluetooth.
The Trio is neither advertised nor supported to use any smartphone via USB as an Audio Device."

is simply not true:

Please look into the manual for your compay´s product:

"Connecting a Device using a USB Cable

You connect your laptop, mobile phone, or tablet directly to the system using a USB cable or a micro USB cable. When you connect your device to the system, you can use it as a speaker for audio calls or media played on your device. (S.62)"

And this is exactly the way me and some other companies are using other 8800´s.

Your next statement "The Voltage warning is a normal message as when the Trio is not powered via PoE+" makes me wondering, too:

As I stated below: After upgrading to latest firmware level this message was gone. (The former realese showed me that we got a real old piece of hardware back from 2016 - maybe this might be the final problem?)

And btw: this 8800 is connected directly (1m Cat.6 cable) to a HPE OfficeConnect 1820 24G PoE+ Switch - with more than enogh budget right now. (Of course I tested other sources, e.g. PoE+-injectors!)

So finally my question is completely not answered at all:

Why does this 8800 not advertise itself as a speaker device as expected?

Cheers - F.One

PS:

And just one word to your suggestion to ask "my reseller":

I already did that and guess what I did get as an answer?

"This seems to be a difficult technical problem. Please ask Polycom." 

HP Recommended

Hello @F.One,

You are correct, the User Guide is incorrect (the Admin Guide does not list ‘mobile phone’), and we will remove ‘mobile phone’ and ‘tablets’ from the list of devices that can connect to Trio via USB to play out audio. This was a mistake in the User Guide and will be corrected.

In regards of the error message disappearing in a newer released software. We have made many changes in our software over the years and optimized how the Trio communicates to switches.

This includes LLDP and CDP messages. The current 5.7.1 Admin Guide explains the settings in the chapter titled "Using Power Sourcing Equipment Power (PoE PSE Power)"

As an example usb.charging.enabled is set to disabled as a standard.

So my original statement that you can only connect Mobile Phones via Bluetooth still stands.

PC's or Mac's can be connected as a Speaker/Microphone via USB.

In regards to the Reseller reply Westcon should be aware that End Customers are unable to open a ticket directly with Polycom support.

I hope this clarifies the confusion and sets the right expectations.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Good morning @SteffenBaierUK 

Thank you for this fast reply. 🙂

So you state out that "No 8800 can work as an audio device on a mobile connected via USB!"??!!

And this special 8800 is "working as designed"?

In this case we will return this device instantly. The simplicity of connecting mobiles via USB was one of the main reasons to purchase a Polycom Trio. If you tell us that this feature is gone forever we have to look for a different manufacturer.

But how can you explain that other 8800 are working perfectly well with USB-connected mobiles as audio devices?

Relating to "PoE+ and 5.7.1" Nope, after flashing 5.7.x usb.charging.enabled was NOT set to disabled as a standard.

Concerning to "reseller support":

I think "Westcon" sold this 8800 to a 3rd party marketplace dealer...

Cheers - F.One

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.