Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Opus Negotiation not happening

SOLVED
Occasional Visitor

Opus Negotiation not happening

Just updated to the latest UC firmware for my VVX600.  Version is UC Software Version 5.8.0.12848.

On my pbx, I have enabled the opus codec, and found that it works with all our other phones in the office (sounds awesome).  For some reason, I can't get my polycom phone to negotiate the Opus codec when making any calls.

I set my Settings->Codec Priorities "In use" area to have:

Opus

G.711Mu

And it negotiates 'ulaw' every time.  If it have just 'opus' I can't make any calls.  I'm using the same extension as another phone that's a different brand and it uses opus just fine.

Any idea why I'm not getting my phone to make an opus call?  G722 works but it's just not as good and it sounds like it's 'underwater' intermittently.  Again, this issue seems to be exclusive to our polycom phones and every other phone in the shop is working.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Occasional Visitor

Re: Opus Negotiation not happening

Okay, totally figured it out.

If you go to Preferences/Video Processing and change "Video" to "Disable", opus will start working.  I noticed that video + opus is not supported, and assumed that was something that would be negotiated on the fly (if a call requested video, the opus codec would not be selected and the next down on the priority list would be).  This is not the case!  If video is enabled on the phone in any way, you won't be able to negotiate opus.

Hope this helps someone else.

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello @Negative,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Not having seen any logs to verify this it may be a limitation of your yet unknown SIP switch.

Does your other yet unknown Phone manufacturer support Video Calls?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 3 of 5
Occasional Visitor

While I have an accepted solution, you have questions, and I'm happy to answer.

We're running asterisk 14.7.5, on FreePBX 14.  The other phone models are a mix of Unifi VoIP phones, and Grandstream 21xx series phones.  We also have a couple of Grandstream GXV 32xx phones, which can do both opus and video simultaneously (though I'm not a fan of the firmware/interface, personally).

Message 4 of 5
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hello @Negative,

From the UC Software 5.4.0 Release Notes page 6:

• The Opus codec is not available when you enable video on the VVX 500 or VVX 600 business media phones. If you want to use the Opus codec, disable video using the configuration file parameter video.enable.VVX500=0 or video.enable.VVX600=0. By default, these two parameters are enabled ‘1’, and you must manually set the value to ‘0’ to disable.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 5 of 5