Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Are there any PTT/Group Paging-compatible gateways available to interface analog overhead speakers?  We have a school environment where they have plenty of overhead speakers, but we have been unable to find a gateway that works with or supports the Polycom Group Paging.  Most of the devices on the market support standard multicast paging.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Eric,

I am looking for the exact same thing. We bought some Cyberdata paging horns, but they don't support Polycom's "special" implementation of multicast paging. A better question is can we make Polycom support regular multicast paging? Why is their "special" and not work with other vendors? 

HP Recommended

Hello all,

our paging implementation, as explained in detail in this Engineering Advisory 70568 => here <= is based on our earlier partnership with SpectraLink.

Any third party vendor can utilize the above document and implement the currently supported method so they are compatible with this.

If you require Polycom to adopt our implementation into another standard please raise a Feature request as follows.

Please raise this via your Polycom reseller as a feature request via a Polycom sales engineer and provide a business proposal why this would be required.

Above is required in order to track this internally within Polycom and evaluate the request and prioritize this based on the feasibility and the general impact on other features.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

KL,

We have found that Algo Communication Solutions has implemented the Polycom PTT/Group Paging into their products.  The 8180 can act as an audio gateway, however, due to an issue that Polycom has admitted to on the VVX line, the page traffic is actually being played through the Algo device before the Polycom VVX handsets, which is creating issues.  It is not as bad as the different in time of broadcast of our pages using Bell Commander over Polycom Group Page and standard multicast to Valcom gateways, but is still a major concern for our client, which is a K-12 school.

Check out the Algo.  they will be releasing a pure audio gateway appliance in the fall which will also support Polycom PTT/Group Paging.

We were curious if there were any others on the market, especially if Polycom themselves had anything they offered.

Sincerely,

Eric Alt

HP Recommended

Hello Eric,

Have you got some information who in Algo is working with Polycom or if there is a Service request already raised?

It would be good to know what Software Version they are using to test this.

Polycom does not manufacture any gateways for Page usage but I believe some other users had some success using the headset port of some lower level phones.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Iggy,

Thanks for the recommendation on Algo! We just ordered a unit, and they have been great so far. They even told me about the issue you are having, and I beleive they have a work around now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.