Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have a VVX 600 running UCS ver 5.4.1.14510.   We have line 1 configured with a sip server and it works fine.  But then on line 2 we configure a 2nd sip server and as soon as that setting is saved, line 1 goes out.  After lots of testing, we've found that if we re-enter the password that line comes online. If we retype the password on Line 1 under authentication, line 1 comes online and line 2 goes out (unable to register). On the PBX, we get the message "wrong password".  If I then go to line 2 and retype that password, it comes online and line 1 goes offline.  I thought I maybe it's using the same password for both lines for some reason so I set both to have the same password but that didn't help.  Whichever line I type the password in and hit save comes online and the other goes off with "wrong password" issue.

Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello jgranade,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I register or is my Polycom Phone compatible with a “XYZ” SIP Server?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above shows an easy simply illustration how to register one line and the relevant configuration if not done so via the Web Interface.

The exact same matches for additional lines and I can only assume you somehow got something mixed up.

Try to factory restore and follow the above.

If we would have a bug in something so simple we would be inundated with tickets.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I get that a bug is unthinkable and esentially impossible.  However, I wonder how many users you have using the lync editions of VVX 500 and VVX 600's with base mode set to 'generic' and trying to register to two sip servers simultaneously.  To test, I just did the same on a VVX 500 and it exhibits the same behavior.  Without change any other setting other than re-entering the password, if I enter the password on Line 1, it comes on line and Line 2's sip server starts recording 'wrong password'.  If I then go to line 2 and enter that password, line 2 comes up and line 1 fails to register.

Both phones have the same firmware.  Is there anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

Hello jgranade,

that is an completely unsupported scenario.

Jan 25, 2016 Question:How many Lines can I register using Polycom phones with Lync Server / Skype for Business server ?

Resolution: You can register only one line when Lync is set as the base profile on the phone.

If you are using Lync you must use LYNC base profile.

Anything else we cannot help you with.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Thanks for the reply but I'm fairly confident that's incorrect, it is a supported scenario.  I did not say I was trying to use Lync and SIp.  I understand that's not supported (though I don't know why).  I'm just saying this is a Lync 'CAPABLE' phone model.  But the 'base profile' is set to 'generic' so it's 100% sip which I think is a supported scenario.

To continue testing, I put line 1 on 1 extension and line 2 on another extension (but both on the same sip server) and get the same behavior.  The password I enter last is online and the other one registers "wrong password" on the SIP Server.  But if I re-enter the password on line 2 for ext 2, it goes online and then line 1 starts recording "wrong password" on the SIP server.  But I know that password isn't wrong as I haven't changed it (I can't as it makes you save on each  screen for each line).

John

HP Recommended

Hello John,

my mistake, I miss read this.

You should be able to use this and I am unsure why it would not work.

The next step is to contact your Polycom reseller so they can open a support case for you with Polycom support.

If you struggle identifying who that would be please provide the MAC address of the phone in question.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

@jgranade wrote:

Steffen,

Thanks for the reply but I'm fairly confident that's incorrect, it is a supported scenario.  I did not say I was trying to use Lync and SIp.  I understand that's not supported (though I don't know why).  I'm just saying this is a Lync 'CAPABLE' phone model.  But the 'base profile' is set to 'generic' so it's 100% sip which I think is a supported scenario.

To continue testing, I put line 1 on 1 extension and line 2 on another extension (but both on the same sip server) and get the same behavior.  The password I enter last is online and the other one registers "wrong password" on the SIP Server.  But if I re-enter the password on line 2 for ext 2, it goes online and then line 1 starts recording "wrong password" on the SIP server.  But I know that password isn't wrong as I haven't changed it (I can't as it makes you save on each  screen for each line).

John

John,

I have the same issue, its a bug in the firmware I presume as I can sometimes fix it by exporting the config file, modifying and the pushing it to the phone. I have 2 SIP servers here and one houses the main pbx the other is a dialer, so I have a phone that needs 2 seperate extensions mapped along with a third extension thats mapped to a different sip server. Even when I set the password for Line 1 or Line 2 (pointing to the same sip server) the lines will fail registration alternately, so its not even mistaking one lines password for the other, its completely changing or doing something to it to make it invalid. I have 40 phones with this issue, I've been using polycom phones for over 8 years now and these are the first that behave like this and it all started after upgrading to the latest firmware.

Currently the Firmware for our phones are as follows:

Polycom 550

Bootblock: 3.0.2.0024

Updater:5.1.1.0132

Sip Ver 4.1.1.0731

Its not you, its the phone I assure you..

Try to export and re-import the config after hand modifying, sometimes it works, sometimes it excludes the auth lines and doesnt seem to pay attn to them on the import..

I hope they fix this as I am going to have to downgrade or use another vendors phone..

If you ever find a workaround I'd like to hear it other than provisioning through the xml files.. I may have to go that route..

HP Recommended

Hello TroyInFL,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Jun 30, 2015 Question:What is the difference using the UC Software 4.0.0 for compatible SoundPoint or SoundStation IP Phones?

Resolution: Please always check the release Notes or

Software Version  Call Server
4.0.X SIP Only
4.1.X LYNC Only

and

Jan 25, 2016 Question:How many Lines can I register using Polycom phones with Lync Server / Skype for Business server ?

Resolution: You can register only one line when Lync is set as the base profile on the phone.

You are using an unsupported Software for your phone as stated above.

UC 4.0.10 is the latest software for SIP

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.