Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi polycom community,

Does anyone know how we can play the radio through our polycom office phones?

We used to have it on our old phones but I cant seem to find any info on the internet on how to do this from our new office polycom phones. Seems strange that a more modern system would leave out this feature. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hello @KerrieW86,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It would be a very good idea to tell us what kind of phone system you are now using so we can advise you of steps to take.

If you are using Skype for Business or LYNC you can only assign one line to the phone where if you are using openSIP you can have multiple lines. One of these registrations could be to another switch.

I played in the past with an Asterisk Server which you could assign a podcast to a phone number. Not knowing your capabilities I suggest a search engine would be a good start.

With all of this we assume you have access to the web interface of the phone which may not be true.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, the software we are using is called 'Telstra IP Telephony' which i'm told is a cloud software. I'm guessing this means we don't have PTT capability with this software since it isnt 4.0.0 or above software. Is that right? (sorry i'm not the most technical person)

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, the software we are using is called 'Telstra IP Telephony' which i'm told is a cloud software. I'm guessing this means we don't have PTT capability with this software since it isnt 4.0.0 or above software. Is that right? (sorry i'm not the most technical person)

@Karthik Sivaram wrote:
Are you referring to push to talk?
https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-How-can-I-use-PTT-Push-To-Talk-Paging-Page/td-p...

HP Recommended
Kerrie,
Thanks for your post . What sort of a radio station is this - corporate radio or radio from a broadcasting station?
What purpose is the radio serving for the IP phone users?
HP Recommended

We just want to play a national broadcast station through our office phones while we arent on phone calls. We used to do this by having a stereo connected to our phone system. Hope this makes sense.

HP Recommended

hi KerrieW86,

Hmm this is  a  thought-provoking prospect especially from a  technical angle.  I am  not sure  of  radio stations streaming G.711 or G.729  streams directly  and that will force  you to  look for a transcoder to Transcode the stream . An idea I can suggest is to use the Java Media Framework API (JMF) which  was created for this purpose  . You might have to write  a Shoutcast protocol handler ( this will enable the audio/digital radio to be streamed over IP  using shoutcast radio) .  

An alternative would be to record the radio station to a file using a recording software, and stream it with delay .

The other way of getting this done is to use a Radio over IP solution such as a Land Mobile radio gateway .

Either way, I'd be very interested to hear of your progress if you are pursuing this ,or what  framework you have adapted for your solution if you proceed  with this project.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Hello @KerrieW86,

Again this comes all down to your service provider even allowing you Admin Access to the Web Interface. Some do not allow this so anything discussed here is impossible as you would be unable to implement anything.

As already replied you could use a free PABX as a 2nd line as for example shown => here <= and selecting this line would play whatever you stream.

As Karthik already replied we also support PTT which again could be something the phone can receive.

As we are working and assuming a lot of "if's" and "but's" I suggest you initially check if you even have admin access to the web interface. The rest completely depends on your technical capabilities.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.