Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am hoping that someone could help me.
   I have a customer who is using Polycom 331's and Asterisk 1.4. The Polycom phones are configured with a 2nd SIP registration to a backup Asterisk server used for emergency 911 calling in case the main Asterisk  server is down. The problem is that the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) light on the Polycom Phones (running UC 3.3.3) doesn't work. The light doesn't come on or is delayed when the user gets a voicemail. When the 2nd SIP registration is removed from the phones, then the MWI works. Does anyone know how to fix this?  Some ideas that I have:
1. Make the Polycom phone not check the 2nd SIP registration for MWI.
2. Make Asterisk (on the backup server) reject requests by the phone to check for messages.
I did try:
1. setting msg.mwi.2.callBackMode="disable"
2. setting Subscriber to "extension@ip"

3. UC 3.3.2
Any ideas, anyone? Thanks so much if you can help!
dave

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Dave,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Did you test this scenario with an older Version of Software and has it only failed with UCS 3.3.3 ?

Did you follow this guide => here <= to set this feature up?

I would suggest you work with your Polycom Reseller and / or Polycom Support via PPI (Pay per Incident) in order to troubleshoot your issue.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Thanks so much for your feedback.  I did follow the Technical Bulletin 5844 guide that you pointed me to.  And I did try this with UCS 3.3.2 and 3.3.3.  

From my understanding when I have multiple registrations (using either voIpProt.server.2.address or reg.1.server.2.address) the phone should only have MWI with server 1.  Yet when I boot the phone I see the MWI light flash (because server1 has voicemail), but then it immediately turns off (because server2 doesn't have voicemail).  When I tried to set server2's registration to 0 (voIpProt.server.2.register="0"), the MWI light comes on (because there is no registration with server2), but when I press the line 1 button I get a "sip:" prompt and I can't place normal phone-number calls.   So I don't know how this would function if server1 was really off-line.

It seems like this should be something straightforward, but I can't seem to get it.  In this case I am the reseller, but if I need to contact Polycom for PPI, I will...

If there is any additional help that you could provide, I would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks.. Dave

HP Recommended

Hello Dave,

I would suggest you work with our Support Team in your Time Zone as the Message with the " SIP:" Prompt sounds like you are not registered.

It may just be a configuration issue in your files that the log files should highlight but this is outside the scope of the community.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Because the Polycom phones's MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) light gets confused when there are two SIP registrations on the phone (the main server and the fallback server) and both phones are sending voicemail information, you need to make the following changes to the fallback server for EACH extension. This will disable the "unsolicited notify" sent from Asterisk.
Use "Config File Editor" to edit /etc/asterisk/sip_custom_post.conf and add the following two lines per extension.
[5601](+)
subscribemwi=yes
- then click "Re-Read Configs" or do amportal restart
dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.