Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a 550, and 2 501s, which when plugged in/powered on, boot up and ask for a password.

I've only worked with the 550 so far, since I have had it shipped back so I can work on it locally, the 501s are remote.

Normally you would only be prompted for this password if you skip loading the application, and then choose to go into setup.

If you enter the password, you end up in the config menu of the bootrom.

If you press cancel, it goes to loading the application, however when it should display the idle screen, lines etc, it reboots, and prompts for the password again.

I have tried formatting the file system (to force it to reload the application), factory resetting the phone, using the downgrader to reload the bootrom, but nothing stops the phone from prompting for the password, and not starting the application.

I notice that after formatting the filesystem to remove the application, the phone doesn't prompt for the password, it skips to "waiting for network to initialise". It then downloads the application again (I've tried both 4.0.4 and 4.0.1), saves it, checks it, says it's loading it, and then reboots and prompts for the password again.

Before I performed the factory reset, I saw that it was contacting our provisioning server, and downloading it's config file, and if I configure a syslog server it tells me it's starting to update, and that it has finished, and then reboots.

The phone uploads it's boot log, but it doesn't contain anything useful, just that the time has been set. I can provide contents of this if necessary.

This phone has been working for years, it recently suffered a power outage, and since then has been asking for the password on boot.

Is this phone defective, and something's causing the application to crash and the phone to reboot instead of starting?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello Squigley,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The 501's will never load the UCS 4.0.1 or 4.0.4 software as they are simply incompatible and will only run a SIP 3.1.8 max.

The 550 will run the above but should not prompt for a password.

I would guess, without knowing any history about these, that they are defective. Maybe they had some drink spilled on them or similar but they should never prompt for a password without the setup button being pressed on bootup.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

I should have mentioned that the 501s are running 3.1.8, and have been for months. I don't know what happened to them, as they have been fine until today.

I was concentrating more on the 550 to start with, since I could work with it physically, and I figured once I knew how to fix it, we could fix the 501s remotely.

There's no physical damage to the 550, when I was told that it was prompting for a password on boot, which I had never seen before, my response was that there must be a stuck key. I've tested for that, all the keys work fine, as I'm able to enter the password, and can enter provisioning details manually.

Are there any instances where a properly flashed phone will fail to load the application, crash and reboot?

Is there perhaps something in the memory that's corrupt and causing that, and formatting the filesystem/factory resetting doesn't wipe that?

HP Recommended

To follow up, one of the 501s was factory reset, and had the provisioning details reentered, and it stopped doing it.

The other 501 just stopped doing it by itself, with no intervention.

The 550 is the only one remaining, stuck in the prompt for password, attempt to boot/start application, reboot and prompt for password loop.

To add some more information, the first time the phone is powered up, it doesn't prompt for the password, goes straight to the boot countdown, then attempts to start the application, before rebooting and prompting for the password.

It seems almost like there's a flag set somewhere, that the phone was requested to be reset, and when the application starts, it sees that, and reboots to asking for the password.

<removed by Mod, this method is not made public within this community>

I'm going to attempt to downgrade the phone to a 3.x version of the application, to see if that will start.

HP Recommended

So I tried loading 3.3.5 onto the phone, but after downloading 2345-12500-001.sip.ld, it says "image not compatible with phone" or "2345-12500-001.sip.ld is not compatible with the phone."

I guess it's an incompatibility with the bootrom, since I had 4.4.0.0080 on there. 5.0.2.12692 didn't work either.

I'm going to try an earlier bootrom, which I eventually found, since the link on the site just takes me back to a search page, in an infinite loop.

If that doesn't work, then I'll give up, and I'll just add this 550 to my pile of Polycom paperweights. We've already told the customer to buy a new phone, since fixing this one is taking too long.

HP Recommended

Hello Squigley,

downgrading a phone from UCS 4.x.x needs the additional downgrader and needs to be downgraded to 3.3.2

This is all described in the Upgrade / Downgrade FAQ post.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Bootrom 4.3.1 and application 3.3.5 made no difference, reboots to the password prompt.

Application 3.2.7 however.. it booted to displaying vertical lines all down the screen the first time, and different patterns of horizontal lines each time it booted after that. I guess there's an issue with the flash, or the memory in the phone.

I tried application 4.0.2b, which upgraded the bootrom back to 5.0.2, then downloaded and flashed the application, to reboot to the password prompt again.

I tried 4.0.4 again, for the same behavour, so I'm done, this phone is dead.

HP Recommended

Hello Squigley,

please ensure you read and understand my question.

• You need the Downgrader and not the BootRom 4.3.1!

• You need UCS 3.3.2 and not UCS 3.3.5 !

But as said at the beginning there is most likely something physically broken or damaged in the phone (liquid spillage / cleaning liquid).

Please follow the above and read the available documentation.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.