Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have 5 Polycom 650's set up but one of them will not connect to one of our computers. The phone is fine because if we move it to another computer all works great.

When we plug it into the computer that is a problem the internet connection stops and the phone just says 'Waiting to Network to Initialize'

I have tried updating network drivers, installed a separate NIC card just to check, and flashed bios to most recent.

It's a Dell XPS 8100 running Win 7 64 bit (and we have another one of these machines that it seems to run fine on - they could have some small differences but they are both 8100's).

When I first plug the cord in (from the phone to the computer - just like we do on all the others) - it just shows ths spinning blue circle and says 'try to connect'. It will then say Local Area Connection - No network access and Unidentified Netwrok - Public Network.

Any thoughts or additional information that would be helpful?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Just an FYI for the above post - the SIP is 3.3..1.0769

HP Recommended

Hello RobWhitney,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I am not sure if I can follow you as you say the Phone works.

How is your Setup?

RJ45 Port from Switch <---> Cable <---> Phone Lan Socket

PC <---> Cable <---> Phone PC Socket

Maybe the PC Port is simply turned off?

Menu Key => Settings => Advanced => Admin Settings => Network Configuration => scroll down to Ethernet Menu => scroll down to PC Port Mode.

What is it set to ?

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I can check those setting for you if you need but what I am saying is if we take that same phone and connect it to any other computer in the office it works fine (the ethernet cable from the wall goes into the phone, and then the phone into the computer).

If we then connect it to one particular computer as soon as we do it the lan network connection stops working.

So it appears it has nothing to do with the phone or the phone settings because that phone works on all other computers.

* I just checked the setting and PC Port is set to Auto as it is on all phones.

* The setup that you mentioned switch to phone lan via cable, then phone pc socket to PC via cable (again, we can get this phone to work on any other computer)

HP Recommended

Rob,

just to get it right.

• All Phones work with all other Computers apart from that one? 
  • That Specific PC does not work with any of the Phones?
  • Are you always using the same cable?
  • Does the PC get the IP address via DHCP or is it a fixed address?

I can only recommend to try it at a PC orientated Forum as the Phone clearly works.

Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Yes - that phone (with same cables) work on all computers but this one so we assume it's a computer issue (that only loses it's connection when we route the internet through this phone).

I will keep researching.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Just a follow up that we solved the problem. It wasn't the phone or the computer. It's the internal wiring in that office that runs from the wall down into the basement where the switch is. We took a 100 foot ethernet cord and ran it from any other office to the phone in his office and his phone/computer all worked great. So now we just need to do some re-wiring.

What's odd is hsi wall plate to computer works but it just doesn't work when you run through the phone - at least we can solve it now and know the phone & computer are fine.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Rob, 

Nice to hear that you solved this odd issue.  Many of us take it for granted that the wiring (either in the wall or the patch cables, ethernet patch panels etc) have been wired correctly.  It's always a good idea to verify this with a cable tester if you have one available when having strange problems like this.  Still, I'll admit that it's somewhat puzzling that the phone worked at all given the bad wiring. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.