Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have setup a secondary office that is connected to our main office via VPN Tunnel. I am connecting all our polycom phones back to our Digium controller. About every hour the phones will randomly beep like they were just connected to the digium. Almost like they lost connection for a minute. Someone mentioned I might want to turn on a setting if available on Polycom phones that keeps the udp connection alive. Not sure if this is even possible on these phones. Our latency is about 3ms from phone to VoIP box. I have ran pings for an exstended period of time with no packet loss. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Zesty,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

You may mistake UDP with TCP

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Sep 24, 2012 Question: How can I disable the message waiting tone?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The tone you hear is most likely the message waiting tone that re-appears every hour when the phone refreshes its registration or subscribes to the MWI.

I suggest you run a wireshark trace just before the hour is over to verify the signalling.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I am confused what the solution is. Lets say it is the message waiting tone. Is there a way to disable this? I will try and get a wireshark but it would be nice to disable this feature one one of the users phones to see if they think this resolved the issue.

HP Recommended

Nevermind I see it now. Will try this.

HP Recommended

Trying to follow directions. I do not see complete steps. I have pasted below the version I am running. I do not see any fields in the web interface for editing the raw config or makings changes through the gui to disbale this sound.

SIP Software Version 3.3.2.0413 BootROM Software Version 4.3.1.0440

HP Recommended

Hello Zesty,

as this is the first time that you are providing your software version I can point you to this FAQ post:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Do I always need a Provisioning Server or can I configure a Phone via the Web Interface or via the Phone Gui?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

or

Mar 08, 2013 Question: Where can I download configuration files from or create these myself?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

I suggest upgrading your phone as explained here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

This is no user friendly. I clicked on the link you suggested. Most of it is showing me how to upgrade my phone software. Do I need to do this to get this feature to work or am I doing an extra step. I am looking for simple steps to change that value ffrom a 1 to a 0. I am using digium phone feature packs to configure phones but have also tried with the web interface of the phone as well. If you need more information please ask for specifics. Is there really not a phone number I am able to call? We purchased 100 phones through CDW who does not offer support on these. If we are not able to get timely and concise resolutions to our problems maybe the answer is we need to go with a phone company that offers phone tech support to all customers. Please advise on how I can resolve this.

HP Recommended

Hello Zesty,

we, Polycom, do not directly support end customers. As this is a community I am unable to provide you with free support.

If the literature available from our Support page (example Admin Guide), the above FAQ post's or utilizing the search functionality of the community are not sufficient then you would need to contact your Polycom reseller.

If you have purchased from a discounter most likely they will not provide you with support either and are unable to contact Polycom support as they are neither trained nor qualified.

Simply providing me with a few Handset MAC addresses will allow me to lookup the original reseller who will be your Tier 1 support.

They can open a ticket with our support team and in addition offer you various professional services that are on offer.

A simple fix, as already replied within my original posts , upgrade the unit and simply import the attached configuration.

Digium can also be contacted in addition.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Digium does not support another brands phone's as they should not. So what I am hearing is I am not able to get paid support unless I find a third party reseller that offers it and then pay them for it? There is no way for me to even call in and pay for help from you guys in order to get your product working how I need it to work? Does not sound like a good business model that is customer focused. I am going to look into swapping out the phones. Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hello Zesty,

you either miss understood or miss read.

We, Polycom, sell to these resellers in bulk (you called them 3rd party).

These resellers (which I can identify when you provide me with a few MAC addresses or the people who you bought from) can then, if the unit is in warranty, open a support ticket for you once they exhausted their Tier 1 troubleshooting role.

This is free during your warranty period.

If the phones are outside of warranty they can raise a Pay Per Incident ticket with us for you and again we, Polcyom, can then work with them to support you.

This business model has worked since day one.

In addition I am sure there are integrators or consultants who offer these services for large deployments if you are unable to get this working yourself after following the outlined FAQ's.

Again all of this is explained in the FAQ in detail here:

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.