Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi

I received a brand new Polycom 560 SoundPoint IP phone yesterday (SIP) and I'm trying to make it work with the Avaya system we have.  I followed the Avaya application notes I found here:   http://support.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100114750

Our system is Session Manager release 6 and Communication Manager release 5.2.1.  This is slightly different than the setup Avaya described in their document.   We have CM 5.2.1, but they made the notes based on a CM release 6.  

I have the Polycom 560 registered and it attempts to make a call, but I get the following error when I look at the logs in the Avaya Session Manager for the call attempt: Server Not Acceptable (Server is not IMS enabled)    The Avaya application notes specifically say though to NOT have IMS enabled on the SIP trunk on the Communication Manager that goes to the Session Manager.

When viewing a call trace in the Communication Manager I see this when I try to call the extension number associated with the Polycom 560:  SIP<SIP/2.0 404 Not Found (originating user not found)  

When I look at the 'Lines' status on the Polycom itself (the phone's menu), it does show the line is registered.  I can go to the web interface and put in a bad password for the phone just to test and I see the line as unregistered with the bad password I used.  Once I put the right password back in, it shows registered again.

Could my problem be related to me trying to use CM 5.2.1 but it will really only work with CM 6?  Or is there something I can do to make this work?  

Thanks for your help.  Getting SIP endpoints working is sort of new to me!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Anyone???  Ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello polycomuser101,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I have created a FAQ that shows an example post => here <= how in theory register the Phone to any SIP Server.

I would need to check our interoperability list to check if the mentioned call Platform is supported.

• Have you contacted Avaya yet regarding this issue?
  • Have you done any additional troubleshooting?

You could try to register a SIP Softclient like X-Lite with your credentials and try and make and receive a call.

If this works then the Polycom Phone should be able to register with above linked FAQ Entry.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I'll check out your link.  I was able to get the Polycom phone to make calls now, but I still can't call TO that phone form the other H.323 or digital phones.  The Polycom shows itself being registered and the Avaya server also says it's registered.  There's just some little piece I'm missing that's not configured right.  I'll look through your notes and see if that sheds some light on the problem.

HP Recommended

Hello polycomuser101,

the Phone won't accept H.323 calls as it is SIP only. If your call server "translates" these calls into SIP then it should work.

Best test to confirm is using X-Lite, if that cannot be called as well the Issue is with the SIP Platform.

Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I'll try to register a SIP softphone and call back and forth with the Polycom phone like you suggested.   I do think the problem is on the Avaya side, based on what I've seen so far.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.