Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Polycom Soundpoint 550

JL
Visitor

Polycom Soundpoint 550

I have used my phone for a year and it works great. However, I just moved and now need to connect through my computer but cannot get a connection. is there a setting I need to change besides changing the cord plug-in in the back of the phone?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Polycom Soundpoint 550

Hi JL,

There are 2 Ethernet ports on the rear of most Polycom IP phones, one labeled "LAN/Network" and the other "Computer".

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are attempting to connect your phone to the network through your computer? As this is a network device, this will not work. The phone must have its own Ethernet connection to your LAN for it to function.

Conversely, you CAN connect the computer to the back of the phone so the computer receives a network connection.

So:
LAN----Phone---Computer will work fine

but

LAN---Computer---Phone will not work.

If the Computer port has been disabled, you can re-enable it in the phones menu interface: Menu, Settings, Advanced, Network.

Message 2 of 3
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Polycom Soundpoint 550

Hello JL,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

As James explained above the usual setup would be for the Phone to be connected via an Ethernet Cable to your Switch/ Home Internet Router and the PC connected to your Phone.

Another Option could be that you have a USB Modem for your Internet Connection and used Internet Connection Sharing via the Ethernet Card in your PC to use the Phone.

As long as these details are unclear it is rather difficult to troubleshoot your issue.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 3 of 3