Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

After working with the UC software on both Soundpoint and VVX series handsets, there are a couple of GUI features that would make remote troubleshooting a lot easier:

- Actual time and date displayed on the Home screen

Reasoning: We had several issues with international deployments displaying the incorrect time.  We were unable to duplicate the issue in our lab, so we had to employ the end user for assistance.  The issues turned out to be between the Broadsoft server and an Edgewater router trumping each other's NTP offset, but it was time consuming and stressful on the end user to have to visually verify the time and date multiple times.   Also, since we are US based, we needed to schedule off-hours engineering support to be available.

- A tab to view warning messages under the diagnostics tab

Reasoning: After an update to improve Polycom survivability on our DMS server, end users on multiple sites were noticing the red triangle and exclamation warning appear after a reboot.  Settings > Status > Diagnostics > Warnings revealed details on the warning, but no where was this information available in the APP or BOOT logs accessible through the GUI.  Again, we needed to rely on end user visual verification to troubleshoot the issue.  Due to the amount of information on the page and some minor language barriers, having the user snap a picture of the warning screen's details ended up being the best way to relay this back to us.  Again, this was time consuming and tedious for the customer.

It doesn't seem that these changes would be very difficult to implement.  Other than dialing issues, these would eliminate end user interaction and cut down troubleshooting and repair times.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm curious if other provisioners have similar thoughts on this

Chris Stennie
Network Engineer

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Chris,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Jan 03, 2013 Question: How can I request a change to the current Polycom SIP / UCS Software?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Above is the only and the correct scenario on how to request this.

In addition it is always useful to provide the currently discussed software version as newer version may already include certain enhancements.

To answer your question 1:

Our Phones always display their time and date on the home screen:

I am unsure if I understood your question but the above is what I would consider as the homescreen. If this is not the case please clarify.

To answer your question 2:

Usually any errors are shown in the log files and you are able to download these via the Web Interface since UCS 4.0.0

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thank you for the response.  

Request 1:
Yes, the time does display it on the home screen, but if a person isn't in front of the handset (i.e. remotely supporting it), they will not see it and there is no way of verifying it through the web GUI.  When I mentioned the Home tab, I was referring to the first page of the handset's web GUI after login, not the physical home screen on the actual handset.

Request 2:
Yes, after version 4.0.x, there are log files to download for boot.log and app.log through the web GUI.  However, these do not have any inclusion of the Warnings messages that are viewable through the physical phone menu Settings > Status > Diagnostics > Warnings.  These should be included in their own files that are viewable and downloadable through the web GUI or have them integrated in the app.log or boot.log files.

Thank you for the link to request changes area - I can submit these through there.  I was curious as to other user's experiences and whether other provisioners feel that these would be useful.

Chris Stennie

HP Recommended

Hello Chris,

well the Web Interface does not display the time but the log's include the local time of the phone so this should get you around the requirement.

If more detailed information is required on the Web Interface itself then the correct way forward is the Feature Request via your reseller and Polycom Sales Engineer.

For the Triangle issue I am quite sure we display for example pre UCS 3.3.0 warnings but would need to see some examples from your end. This is outside the scope for myself and you would need to raise a support ticket via your Polycom reseller and/or Polycom support directly so we can verify this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.