Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

We have a situation on our new VVX500's where they are not sending NOTIFY events back to the server when an actual call is made.  I'm attaching to captures.  However, when someone manually sets their buddy status, the capture shows the NOTIFY with the correct msnsubstatus and everything works just fine.   

The Automatic capture test shows NO notify ever coming from the phone to the server.  For this capture, the following IP's are defined below.

192.168.1.80 = phone for manually setting status, and dialing phone for the auto testing.

192.168.1.77 = phone that has a watch setup for the 192.168.1.80 phone.

74.115.42.231 = remote server.

If anyone has seen this kind of behaviour, let me know. It seems to be some setting or bug on the phone, but it works perfectly when we manually set the status.

Thanks!

Tom

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello tmoore,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Usually I would remind you to provide details on the Software Version used but looking at the attached wireshark traces I can see it is UC Software 5.1.3

In addition you did neither provide any details if this ever worked before or even what SIP server is being utilized.

I just did a quick test with two phones running UC Software 5.3.0 and it works as it should.

The Phones SUBSCRIBE to the Buddy States on the server end and once the status of the phone changes to busy for example the Server sends the NOTIFY message to the remote Phone.

I believe you are not using the feature correctly and can only advise to contact your Polycom reseller SCANSOURCE where the VVX500 has been purchased from back in November 2014

Have a look at this FAQ post in order to get more details:

Aug 06, 2013 Question: How can I use the Buddy Watch feature?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I have done a little more testing, and I believe what is happening is the manual setting of buddy status on the phone is overriding the status being sent into the server.

The last test I did, I set the buddy status manually to Away on the phone.   Then when I made a call and grabbed the packets, the NOTIFY was sent to the server with the Inactive/Away status instead of the "On the Phone" status I'd expect.

Is there a setting on the phones that would say to override and ALWAYS use the manual setting on the phone?

HP Recommended

Hello tmoore,

as already explained in my prior reply it would be of interest what SIP server you are using for this functionality.

In addition you should seek support via your Polycom reseller SCANSOURCE where the VVX500 has been purchased from back in November 2014.

I did another quick test changing the status of the phone and then making a call and the monitoring buddy would show the busy state of the phone.

Please work with Scansource as prior advised when you opened a ticket with Polycom support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks - one last question.

Can you confirm that the packets should look identical for a manual setting of the status and when the phone is dialed?  Meaning, we should see the Notifiy from the phone making the call go into the server, then another Notify coming out of the server to any of the devices that are subscribed?

Our provider is telling us this is likely a network issue, but the packets look to indicate the manual setting of status sends the NOTIFY through just fine.  Could there be a network configuration reason the phone wouldn't send a NOTIFY when a call is initiatiated?

It's my position that the phone itself is not configured correctly, not our network based on the successful communication of the NOTIFY messages in a manual buddy status update.

HP Recommended

Hello tmoore,

so far I had asked twice what SIP service is being used with no feedback on this.

The Phone SUBSCRIBES to the Server for the service and the Server sends the NOTIFY.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

The SIP Service we are using is from LCS and is called NetDialtone.based on Asterisk.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.